Things Past Two: Without You
by Agent Newbeau

He moved silently through the thick fog, pausing only to check that he was indeed headed in theright direction. It was hard to tell sometimes, especially when the fog was so thick. He hated London in the winter, so cold and miserable. Just like him.

He had long ago vowed never to surrender his heart to anyone. If he were inclined, he would have joined the monastery, but he was not inclined to do so. He loved his freedom too much.

Sometimes at night, he wondered what it would be like to have a wife and children, but he never found a woman that intrigued him enough to tame him.

He was too busy fighting wars to worry about affairs of the heart.

~*~

She watched him as he made his way through the streets. So sad, so alone. Why couldn't she be with him? What had she done wrong to separate them this time? Whatever it was, she didn't want it to happen again. They needed each other.

He didn't remember, but she did. Or maybe some part of him did remember. That's why he was so miserable. If only she could comfort him.

But some things are not to be.

She longed to be alive and in his arms again. It had been too long. How long had it been?

So long she couldn't remember. Why did it have to be this way?

She felt the presence behind her. "What's wrong, child? Are you not happy here?"

She turned to face the angel. "He's so lonely without me," she said. "Why does it have to be this way?"

The angel placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't question it, child. It's a lesson you must learn and the only way to learn it is to separate you."

"But-"

"No. Look at him."

She looked down to the street below.

~*~

He approached the man slowly, almost unsure if it was safe. These were dangerous times and enemies were everywhere. Just the week before a "friend" had attacked him and tried to steal what little bit of money he had. The "friend" was now dead.

He studied the man carefully, taking in every feature. Gray hair, gray eyes, green teeth. Not a pretty sight. He shivered slightly. Something was not right. It was a trap.

Run, he told himself, but his feet wouldn't cooperate. He was frozen in place, knowing this was the end. It was quick and surprisingly almost painless. One jab of the dagger and it was over. He did have a heart after all.

She cried out as she saw him fall, clutching his chest. "Go to him," the angel told her.

She held him, comforting him in those last few moments, making the transition easier. He reached up and touched her cheek, testing to see if she was real. "You," he whispered and it was over.

Finally, in death they were reunited.

End