Back in the Saddle (with no regrets)
by Melvin

Finally, Davy could go back to riding. It had been years since he dismounted his last horse, and finally, in America, Davy found a stable that he found suitable to his liking. It was clean, it was small, and the horses were fast.

Davy pulled up into the dusty parking lot, knowing Mike would yell at him later for getting sawdust in the seat, and tightened his boots. He walked in through the barn doors in a hurry, giving himself a headache and he had to wait a few seconds to let his eyes adjust to the darkness. It had been so long since he last rode he had forgotten the manner of the foggy, dark barn.

A man was sitting on a bench in the empty arena. "Well, hello there," the man spoke up, "You must be David."

Davy smiled. "Tha's me. You're Mr. Duncun right? the stable owner?"

"That'd be me, son." The man had a cheery aroma, and an accent a little bit heavier than Mike's. "We've got a horse saddled up for ya, thought maybe you'd like to get started faster."

Rats, Davy thought. He'd liked putting the girth and saddle on, proving to everyone he could do that his way. Suddenly Davy remembered the old stable in England, and how the stablehands would always criticize the way Davy put the tack on, and then come over and redo it all for him. Davy became miffed at the old guy, then realized it wasn't his fault. "Thank you very much, is he out back?"

"No, he's 'round the side, I'll go tell Kim ta get em." Duncan walked around to the large, wooden, moveable door and pushed it open. "Kim! Ya out there?"

There was a moment's pause and a feminine voice spoke. "Yeah, I'm out here, what do you want Jim?"

"Bring Onyx out for Davy, would ya? He's gonna try her out." Moments later a girl appeared with a young mare. The mare wasn't young enough to be a filly, Davy decided. She was extremely dark brown, almost black, more likely than not hensing her name, Onyx, but you could tell she wasn't a full black by the tender brown on her nose. Onyx was a gorgeous site, her muscles rippled each time she took a step. Davy then looked over at Kim, who was a sight in her own. Davy instantly fell in love, but before he could even introduce himself, a man came out of a stall.

"Goo' Lord, Jim... you makin the ladies do your workin' 'gain?" Jim and the man both grinned and laughed. The man then turned to Davy. "I don't believe we've had the pleasure. I'm Ron." He stuck out his hand.

"I'm Davy, nice to meet you." Davy shook it, but he felt something odd. Kim had been watching Ron the whole time, giving him playful looks and gestures.

"Kim you almost ready? we're s'posed to meet Gayle and Bobby in 15 minutes for dinner."

Kim nodded. "I'm coming..." she walked up to Davy and smiled. "It was nice to meet you, hope you like her..." She smiled softly at Onyx, then said, "She's smooth..."

Davy watched as she walked off, so completely jealous of Ron as he took he arm and put it around her. He tried to shake it off, and reminded himself that this was riding, not a love soap opera, and turned back to Onyx and Jim. "May I?" Jim nodded and Davy mounted the mare. He slipped his feet into the stirrups and grasped the leather reins. It felt like being born again, he felt all of his problems melting away, into the wind...

Davy pulled the mare around and examined her for any sore spots, but he could find none. The horse was as pure as the Bible, Davy thought. Nothing was wrong with her, and when she moved it seemed as though the world went with her. Davy walked her around twice to warm her up, then just to refresh his memory, he did trotting exersizes and posting with her. It felt wonderful, like the horse was his. Onyx listened to every command he gave, she didn't miss a thing. Davy had to stop, this wasn't real. Kim was right, Onyx was smooth and definitely knew what she was doing at all times. She was probably used in all kinds of hunter/jumper shows.... and dressage, the next thing Onyx would do would be to race! Davy loved the thought of getting back out on the track. Just the thought of it made Davy press his heels against Onyx and pushed her into a canter. He could only go in circles, which was a big drag, he thought. Jim was out watching, and as if he could read Davy's mind he shouted out, "Jump her over the rail, son!" Jim grinned and waved for him to go. Was he serious? Davy had never jumped before...

"I don't jump!" Davy shouted out.

"Just canter her over the rail! You'll have to learn how to do it sometime, son!"

He was right... Davy thought. It was remarkable he had gotten through his whole horse riding career, and yet, still not known how to jump. Davy decided it was time to learn how to jump. He wheeled Onyx around and jabbed his legs into her sides. Onyx, as if she was a starter pistol, took off in the direction of the fence. The closer the fence became, the farther away the world seemed to be. Onyx soared over the fence like an eagle, Davy could feel the wind rushing over his body, and he shut his eyes for a second just to take in the scene. He opened his eyes again to find that they were going over another fence, and this time it didn't seem as high. The ground came nearer, and nearer, until Davy felt it with a loud thud.

~*~

Onyx's wet nose sniffed Davy's face. He woke up on the ground, and covered in bruises. She dribbled horse drool on him. "Onyx, Onyx... get away girl..."

"Son?! you all right there?" Jim came running from the ring. "Can you get up?"

Davy moved sorely upward and looked at Onyx. "Was that fun for you, pumpkin?" He said sarcastically as he felt around for broken bones. Luckily, he found none, and he stretched out his back as Jim jogged over.

"You okay? I mean, I knew you didn't know how to jump, but I thought you'd at least keep your eyes open while you went over the fence..."

Davy suddenly felt a rush of stupidness exceed over him, and he felt the warm blush in his cheeks. "Yeah, I guess I was havin' a little too much fun..." Davy shrugged and picked up the reins that were on the ground. "I'm not much of a jumper... I race."

Jim's eyes opened wide and there was a moment of silence. "You race?"

"Yeah... but I haven't done it in awhile..."

Jim grinned and looked at Onyx, then back to Davy. "Would you be willing to train her? Make her into a racehorse?"

Davy looked shocked. "Me? why me?"

"Because I've seen the way you ride her. You two make every move together, and she seems to listen to you."

Davy smiled, taking the complement. Really, he wasn't doing anything, it was Onyx's smooth ride that made everything so easy... but Davy wasn't about to let this ego ride down.

"Plus the fact that her mother was a racer."

Davy looked at Onyx. That would explain why her muscles were so strong, and why her beats were so even. "I'll do it." He grinned.

Jim patted his hand on Davy's back. "Great! You can start tomorrow! But for right now, could you just go and rub her down? She needs a bath pretty bad... and pick her hooves, if you could." Jim grinned again and walked back into the barn.

Davy looked at Onyx, who was still grazing. "Well girl, let's get you cleaned up."

~*~

The next few days flew by. Training Onyx was a huge task, and it appeared that she hated being led around on a rope connected to her halter. She would buck and rear when Davy tried to put it on, but that was just the beginning...

"Onyx, whoa girl!" Davy pulled the lead rope down. Onyx reared and let out a loud groan. There was no controlling this horse. She had gone from the angel she was yesterday to this ruthless beast.

"She's a pill, isn't she?" A blonde head of hair poked out of a stall.

Davy jumped, a little surprised to hear her voice. "Oh, Kim...." Davy put on his cool, "clever" self that every male claims to have. "I didn't see you.... no, she's nothing I can't handle." Onyx flared a nostril, warning that if Davy tried to pull her one more inch, she would make sure he would not be able to have children.

Kim came out of the stall with a gray stallion. "She spooks on the one side..." Kim handed Davy the stallion's lead rope. "Here, hold Jake. I'll show you." She gave Davy a smile that turned off his cool self, and he gave in to the girl's lesson. He took the leadrope from her and handed her Onyx's lead rope. Onyx reared again. Kim pulled down on it firmly and pulled her head down low enough the Kim was face to face with Onyx. She put her head again Onyx's, and then whispered soft words into her ear. Davy looked at the two confused, but then realized Kim was just calming Onyx down. He watched as she led Onyx around inn circles, and then she brought Onyx back to Davy. "There," She grinned, "You shouldn't have a problem now. She's just really high, that's all."

Davy laughed. "A horse on drugs, eh? I'd believe it..." He looked at the ebony horse and it's newly found peace, and Onyx reminded Davy of how she was yesterday. Onyx didn't give Davy any more temperament trouble for the rest of the training.

~*~

The next few days of Davy's life were wonderful. Up at the barn working with the horse was heavenly to him, he didn't want to be any place else. The best thing was spending time with Kim. As Davy soon realized, his feelings for Kim had matured, from being a passing crush, to a highschool crush, and then to the point were he hated to leave her.

Perhaps more important was a race that was coming up. Onyx's training, though most horses would take months, was going at an extremely fast pace. She listened to Davy, and seemed to take to him as a friend, rather than a parental figure as most equines would. The only weird thing was the way she acted when Kim was around. Onyx seemed to resent the looks that Davy gave Kim, and Davy wondered if Onyx could sense the feelings he had for Kim. Odd as it was, it passed over Davy's mind as a minor observation in horse behavior.

"Bring her over here Davy!" Kim shouted from the track. It was exactly one week before the big race, and Kim and Davy had brought Onyx down to the track. Onyx's spirit seemed alive and ready to be ridden. Davy put the tack on Onyx as Kim braided her tail and mane, and a conversation about a soap opera that Davy and Kim both happened to catch arose.

"Wha' are you talkin about, Steve and Joyce... tha's the most ridiculous couple I could begin to think abou'!"

"Like Brian and Billie is any better!" Kim laughed. There was silence a moment, and then Kim spoke up. "And what exactly are you doing watching a daytime soap opera?" She gave him a smart look, waiting for an answer.

Davy stood pulling the girth up the saddle straps staring off. After a few seconds he turned and said, "I didn't have anything better to do..." Davy nodded as he said the words. "It's sad, really. I had nothing better to do. There was the band... but we're all off doin' our own thing half the time... and until I found another stable..." Davy's voice trailed off and with a quick glance at Kim he felt foolish and went back to tightening the girth around the horse's belly.

Kim wasn't smiling proud anymore. She was serious this time, and she looked at him and said, "Well, Davy Jones, I'm glad you found us." She grinned, and for an instant Davy sensed something in the way Kim was looking at him, the way her eyes met up to his in a way that seemed to lock his vision only on her. Davy moved in closer to Kim, as she took a step forward. No sooner had the two of them brushed hands then Onyx reared. Davy snapped out of it instantly, and the two tried desperately to calm her down.

"Wha' spooked 'er?" Davy looked around for any moving figures.

"I have no clue..." Kim said as she brushed the back of her neck, blushing softly. There was an obvious moment where the both of them knew there was nothing to say, except to elaborate on what could have happened in those past moments, so Davy grabbed ahold of the reins and nodded out the door.

"I'm gonna go try 'er on the track. Are you gonna watch?" He grinned.

"Sure." Kim smiled and went up the stairs to the bleachers.

Davy took Onyx out to the gates. He sat up on top of her when it suddenly occurred to him; he hadn't been a jockey in almost 7 years. How was this going to feel, to be in that tight position that required muscle, worn off shortly after he stopped riding, by acts of laziness and loss of riding. Sure, he had muscle, but the question was if it was enough to keep on the horse in a full gallop. "Please Onyx..." Davy whispered, "Don't fail me now..."

Suddenly the gates flew open and he was out of the gate in no time. It seemed like Onyx had done this her entire life. Davy's entire world was spinning, only this time he was still on top of the horse and it felt wonderful. As the rest of the world went spinning past, Davy could still see Kim, out of the corner of his eye. He could still see her long, blonde streaked hair, her smile, and her shining blue eyes. He made his first laps with Onyx, then he stopped her, figuring no matter how much he wanted to go on, enough was enough for the worn out mare. Davy pulled her into the track's stalls, and Kim and Davy headed back to the stables with Onyx in the trailer.

~*~

The next week was Heaven for Davy. Riding his first passion, Kim his second... or at least it started out that way. Kim was so excited to be training a racer, but Davy felt and also hoped it was more than that. Ron hadn't been around lately, he was off at hunter/jumper shows constantly, and Kim was starting to feel the resentment. Davy could hear the arguments when Kim was on Jim's office phone. She would argue that he hadn't been home in weeks and that he loved his horse more than her. Davy thought it was true, the man had no commitment and wished only to bring another brass trophy home to the barn to sit on the shelf, as Davy saw many of the ones in Jim's office had Ron's name on them.

Worse than that, they were down at the track every day, and it was starting to show it's wear on the two. The early mornings and late nights were wearing Kim and Davy out so bad that they would collapse in the hayroom and not come out for hours. After one of Kim's arguments with her swain, Davy found her alone in the hayroom miffed and red eyed.

"Ey..." Davy smiled gently and came and sat down by her. "Wha's wrong?"

Kim shook her head and sighed. "Ron won't come home this time.... he's got a two day break and he met some guys up there and he says he's doing business, like I can't hear the party music in the background..." She wiped her eyes and lay her head back on the hay.

"I'm sorry..." Davy put his arm around her, but only as a male friend would to a girl he knew well, like old and dear friends. "Wha' he's doin' to you isn't fair, and it's completely not right."

Kim started to look angry. "Then he accuses me of flirting with you when we go to the track with Onyx, like he has enough time to spy on me but we can't go out for drinks or anything!" She let more tears go down her face.

That triggered something in Davy. It seemed to him that the last comment she made was a sign, a sign that she wanted to talk about what happened at the track. He wiped the tears from her cheek and smiled. "I'm sorry to have put you in that position..." Davy put a piece of her hair behind her ear and then swallowed hard.

"It's not your fault..." She said, "I should have seen this coming... like the time we were in the track and I almost... well..." Kim nodded, "You were there, you know what happened..." She smiled and almost appeared to laugh. "The next hot guy that came along, and I try and jump on him..." She shook her head.

Davy watched in amazement. The next hot guy? Was she dead serious? He knew that there was something there. He could practically smell it in the air, and he moved closer to Kim. "I felt that too, Kim... I just didn't want to say anything because you... well, you're with Ron..."

Kim nodded. "You know what would be really funny?"

Davy cocked his head and raised an eyebrow. "Wha'?"

"Well... if Ron was over there..." Kim pointed to some haystacks strayed about with space in between them, "And we just kissed like... right here on the spot... it would be exactly like Joan and Marco on daytime." Kim laughed at the thought.

Davy decided to be bold. "Want to?"

Kim looked at him with an insecure uncertainty that made him shake with curiosity as to what her answer would be. She turned away a moment, then back with a grin, and said, "Why not?" And leaned in. Davy kissed her with such passion, and such emotion. When their lips parted she smiled and said, "It's great that we can do that as friends..." As the words came out of her mouth she blushed and had to look away. It was killing him, he had to tell her how he felt about her, right then and there- but something held him back that said this wasn't the time, she was vulnerable and he shouldn't take advantage of her. He smiled softly and looked at Onyx out in the field, who seemed to be watching them the whole time, pacing about in the pasture with fury at something. Suddenly Jim appeared at the door.

"You kids still here? Geez! I thought ya woulda gone home by now! Take a day off tomorrow kids, you're gonna need it for the day after."

"Are you sure?" Davy looked at him.

"Yeah, sure I am! Besides, no one's gonna be up here. We're all gonna rest up for the race. Get ready for your big win on the Black One!" He chuckled his way out to his truck.

Kim smiled as she watched the man go. Shortly after they departed for their own homes, Davy hated to leave her, but he knew he needed sleep. He had a knew freedom, he thought, as he drove home. Now the ice was broken, he could tell Kim that he loved her again, when the time was right! Davy felt a piece of him kicking himself for not telling her then, but he shivered at the thought of another time like that, just the thought of it sent them down his spine.

When he arrived home he slept for hours on end. No one disturbed him or bothered him the entire time. Early in the afternoon the next day, Davy slowly started to arouse himself and he got out of bed. He stretched, and walked downstairs to find a note from the guys saying they were at the store and would return later. He sat down on the couch and stared into space thinking about the next day, the race. His thoughts were unraveled by the ringing of the phone. Davy made his way to it and picked it up. "'Ello?"

It was Jim. "Davy? it's Jim..." He sounded upset, something wasn't right.

"Yeah?"

"It's about Kim... she was in an accident..."

~*~

Kim was dead. They had found her body up in the pasture. Grazing in the field was a fully tacked Onyx. What happened was simple and complicated at the same time; Kim had forgotten the previous day to put medicine on Jake's infected hooves, they had found the can, half opened, still outside Jake's stall, and the medicine on his front right hoof. Perhaps Kim thought Onyx was anxious and needed to be ridden, or maybe Kim just felt like a ride, but she tacked up Onyx and took her out in the field and then to the woods for a trail ride... but she never made it to the woods. She fell off and crushed her skull. That's where it got complicated for Davy. Kim was a skilled rider, and you don't just fall off of horses and crush your skull. Davy had his own theory.

Davy was alone, up at the stable. Onyx was still in the field, Kim's body had been taken away. He was glaring at Onyx from the fencepost he was sitting on. Tears were swelling in his eyes. Davy remembered the kiss they shared yesterday, and the passion it involved. Why didn't he tell her yesterday that he loved her, he thought. If no one else would know then at least she would. "I thought I had forever..." Davy whispered to himself. "I'm going to regret this for the rest of my life..." He looked at Onyx, who seemed proud, standing with her chest out and head held high, her mane and tail blowing in the wind. Because of Onyx's jealous toward Kim, Kim was dead. "You killed her!" Davy shouted out to the mare. "Are you happy with yourself?! She's dead! You killed her! You killed her..." Davy's voice cracked off and he let the tears flow.

~*~

That night Kim was at the funeral home, laid out in a silk dress. Her long blonde hair was still as shiny as ever. More tears swelled in Davy's eyes. Her face was extremely pale, and her blue eyes could no longer be seen. Wake up... Davy thought. Kim looked as if she were just asleep.

Ron walked in with a stone expression on his face, like he couldn't believe this had happened. Everyone was consoling him, Kim's parents, her siblings... Davy hadn't even met her family. Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was a teary-eyed Jim.

"We're gonna miss her..." Jim half said, half whispered to Davy, never taking his eyes off the casket.

"I-" Davy's voice cracked again, and he didn't want to clear his voice this time. Why was everyone consoling Ron? What had he done? For the past few months all he had done to Kim was make her mad, lonely, and upset. How could he tell anyone what Kim and he shared? It made a lump in his throat, and it burned with rage and regret over not telling Kim he loved her. Jim just patted Davy's back.

Davy approached the casket. The artificial lights around her body had done nothing for her. He put his had on the brass rail and looked at her sleeping eyes. "I love you..." Davy whispered. Little good it did him now, he thought. "I'm so sorry Kim... I'm so sorry..." Davy was interrupted again by Jim.

"I know this may not be the right time to ask this... but Davy, are you still gonna ride Onyx in the race tomorrow?" Jim's eyes were wide with anticipation.

Davy hadn't even begin to think about that, but he stood firm with his answer. "No... I thought Onyx was ready, but she's not." He looked at Jim and then whispered, "She's never going to be ready."

~*~

The funeral was hard for Davy. Seeing the casket closed was something that scared him deeply. Davy knew this thing was very real, and very close to him. He listened to only the first part of the minister's speech and eulogy.

"We are gathered here on this day to pay our last respects to Kimberly Ann Shafer, born April 22, 1942, and died on a horseback riding accident yesterday, April 14, 1967..." The minister went on to say more about her life, the people in it, etc, but Davy thought about those dates. She died days shy of being 25, he thought to himself. To be shot down so young...

After the funeral was over the people gathered in their cars and a few followed the casket up to the cemetery, where she was laid to rest. Everyone up their was crying; her mother, her father, her sisters, but the one person Davy didn't see was Ron. What was his excuse this time, another horse show? Who cared about him, Davy thought. He looked over the roses on Kim's casket, which was uplifted by cement blocks covered by a black linen cloth. After the minister was finished everyone slowly left, one by one. Davy stayed and looked at the casket. After what had to be hours a man came over to Davy. "Hey... um... we really need to lay her down now..." Those words cut Davy's insides like a knife, but nevertheless he nodded and lay one last rose on the casket. He put his hand down on the top of it and let a few tears run down and drop onto the casket.

"I love you..." Davy whispered again, and then he left.

~*~

That night Davy went back to the barn like always. He half expected to see Kim there, but he knew that was impossible. He walked over to Onyx's stall, but she wasn't there. Someone must have let her out in the field, he thought. Davy saw the black horse a mile away. Something triggered him again, when he saw how proud she still looked, like she won him over Kim. "Murderer..." Davy whispered as he approached her. Onyx reared and let out a neigh. then walked over to him and put her nose on his shoulder. Davy pushed it off, but the mad feeling he had faded away. Onyx circled around him confused, and threw her head. Davy couldn't stay mad at Onyx. She hadn't intentionally killed Kim... Even though she was probably happy that Kim was gone, the animal wasn't that smart. Davy put his arms around the horse's neck. "I'm sorry Onyx... I let you and Kim down... you should've been in that race today... just for Kim's sake..." Suddenly a gunshot went off. Onyx reared again, and Davy fell to his knees. It was Ron.

"Killer!" Ron yelled out to Davy. "You're horse killed Kim..." There was something wrong with him. Ron had been fine up until now, what went wrong? Davy didn't have time to analyze the situation, he had to get Onyx out of there or they'd both be dead. More gunshots rang out. Davy jumped on Onyx and started her off towards the woods. It would be harder to kill them there. Ron shot again, and this time he hit Onyx in her left flank. She went down and cried out. Davy hit the ground yet again, and he knew there was no place to get Onyx into cover. The woods were a good few hundred yards away, and she'd bleed to death before he could get her there.

"I lost Kim... I'm not gonna lose you..." Davy ran out in the clearing, over to what appeared to be a few pine trees. Ron followed him, shooting all the while. A few pine trees was all that there was. It dropped off onto a steep, steep hill, almost as if it were a cliff. The gunshots got closer. Davy hid behind two trees with branches that locked together. Ron appeared in the small clearing.

"You have no place to go, slick.... so come-" He saw Davy instantly. "You're a dead man..." He ran around the tree to pull the trigger and kill Davy, but he tripped over something and the gun went flying to the edge of the cliff. "No....." It wasn't over the edge in the slightest, and there was no wind on the hill, but something made the gun go over the cliff. At that point Ron had lost it. He stayed on the ground sobbing.

Davy ran back to the stable and called the police, and then a vet to come to Onyx. She wasn't in the best condition, and that spot would probably bother her for the rest of her life, but it was minor to get the bullet out of horse's flank. Davy knew that was Kim that moved the gun over the cliff, no matter how stupid it sounded.

~*~

A few weeks later, Kim's mother showed up Davy's door. "I thought you might like this..." She said, handing Davy a small, navy blue book, then left without saying another word. It was Kim's journal. Davy sat down and flipped through it. The last date written in was April 12th. It read:

Dear Diary,
Today Davy and I raced Onyx against Jake, and of course, Onyx won. She's such a baby. I really think she likes me. I'm starting to get to know Davy better. Apparently he's in some band and they get along great, though I've never heard my music. Ron's been away. He really makes me mad, and as soon as he gets back I think it would be best if we went our separate ways. He wants me to go to another collegiate stable with him, but I like Jim's just fine. Besides, I couldn't leave Davy. That's the other reason I think I need to leave Ron. I'm in love with Davy.
      ~Kimberly

Davy was astonished. He was so overjoyed, and relieved. A weight had been lifted off of his back. He smiled, and whispered again, "Thanks Kim..."

End