Another Fairy Tale
by Rachel Jensen

1334 Beechwood. Davy is preening in front of a painting. Mike and Micky are playing cards on the chess-board. Micky proceeds to take a bite out of one of his cards. Peter is polishing the wooden dummy. The doorbell rings. Peter runs over to get it. Mr. Babbit stands at the door.

"Well, Monkees, this is your lucky day," he says.

"You've stopped charging rent!" exclaims Davy hopefully.

"Don't you wish!" said the landlord, "but I will let you stay."

"Aww, thanks!" says Mike. Then, to the others, "he's flipped!"

"Maybe it was the bodysnatchers!" Peter postulates.

"Body snatchers steal your body. It's his mind that's gone!" said Micky.

"Maybe it was the mindsnatchers!" All give Peter looks.

"If!" shouts Mr. Babbit.

All in unison, "If what?"

"If you go to a party."

"Democrat or Republican?" asks Peter.

"Not that kind of party, dummy! It's my niece, Princess. Her boyfriend just broke up with her and now she wants a new one. She's throwing a party to meet boys. If she finds a boyfriend, I won't kick you out."

All look at Davy.

"You think he can do it?" Micky asks.

"That's right, baby, and fish can swim," says Mike, resting his hands on his ever-present green wool hat.

"Gee, I'd love to go, but I have to polish the refrigerator," says Peter.

"Remember, it's a costume party," says Mr. Babbit, "Be in that GTO of yours in an hour."

"The party is in the Monkeemobile?" asks Peter.

"No, Peter. The Monkeemobile is taking us to the party!" explains Davy.

"Gee, that's awfully nice of it," says Peter.

Mr. Babbit leaves.

"This is gonna be great!" says Mike.

"Oh, no. Not for you it's not. You can't go," answers Davy.

"Well why not?"

"You've got to stay here and watch Peter. We can't just leave him here unsupervised, you know."

"Well why not you, Davy?"

"Are you kidding? With that face? Mr. Babbit said that Princess needed to find a boyfriend or we're out. With Davy on the job, we can't fail!" interjects Micky.

"All right. Just go on and have yourselves a swell time!" says Mike as Davy and Micky walk out the door dressed as an old lady (Micky) and an explorer (Davy) (for this was a costume party.)

"Hey Mike?" asks Peter, polishing the refrigerator.

"What?"

"We can have a swell time here, right?"

"Yeah, sure, Peter," he answers disheartedly, and begins to strum a guitar.

Suddenly, a flash of light hits the room. A kindly older woman with a magic wand steps onto the floor. She is played by Rose Marie (from the Dick Van Dyke Show.)

"You!" exclaims Mike.

"That's right. Remember, Mike, I told you I'd do something special for you."

"You said you were gonna make me a sweater!"

"But I never did. Now I'm going to give you a chance at meeting Princess Gwen."

"You couldn't do that. Unless you were...you can't be!"

"She can be, Mike. She is," says Peter.

"How would you know?" asks Mike disbelievingly.

"Well it is my song," says Peter.

"He's right, Mike, I am. I'm Auntie Grizelda. And I'm going to get you to that party!"

"What about Peter? I can't just leave him alone here."

"Peter will take you there, but you must have him back by midnight."

And with that she transforms Peter into a motorcycle and flipped Mike into a costume.

"Remember, Mike, midnight."

Cut to party. Princess Gwen (dressed as a princess, of course,) sits discouraged on a chair.

"Princess, darling, there are lots of wonderful boys here who'd love to go out with you. Look at that one!" says Mr. Babbit, pointing at Davy. Davy smiles, stars in his eyes.

"Oh he's nice enough, but I'm looking for a boy who's...special."

Suddenly a tall, handsome guest arrives in lederhosen and a green wool hat.

"Wow, what a great lookin' chick!" he exclaims upon seeing her.

"Wow what a great lookin' guy!" she exclaims upon seeing him.

They meet each other and begin to dance.

(A match made in heaven...?)

The other Monkees notice something.

"Hey, Davy," ponders Micky, "Who's that over there?"

"That's Princess Gwen, you dummy!"

"I'm no dummy! Peter's the dummy! I meant who's she dancing with?"

"I don't know. Some cat in lederhosen. If she wants to dance with some cat in lederhosen, then it's her loss. But if she likes him, we have a home, so it's no drag for me."

"There's just something familiar about him. Something we've seen before. Maybe it's the outfit..."

"It's lederhosen! Who do we see in lederhosen? Anyway, don't worry. There's lots of pretty girls here; we can find someone else."

"Easy for you to say."

Suddenly Mike realises that it's nearly midnight.

"Hey, Princess, what time is it?" he asks in a sweet Texas drawl.

"11:50," she answers.

"Uh, oh. I gotta go."

"Why?"

"It's Peter, I mean it's, uh, just that, well, I gotta get this costume back. Bye!"

"Wait! What's your name?" she calls after him, but it's too late. She looks down in her sadness and notices something on the floor. His hat! She picks it up.

Mike runs back to the pad as fast as he can, forgetting the motorcycle that got him there. He dashes into his room and pretends to read.

The other Monkees leave the party, and notice something outside the door looking confused.

"Peter? Hey, Pete?" inquires Micky.

"Guys?" asks Peter, "Where am I?"

"You're at the party," answers Davy.

"Oh, boy! You mean you let me go after all? Swingin' party, huh?"

"No. It's over. And we're outside. How on earth did you get here?" asks Micky.

"Well, I..."

"Auntie Grizelda" plays. Intersperses bits relevant to his explanation of things with a fantasy sequence and footage of them playing the song.

"You must be joking!" exclaims Davy.

"Nuh-uh! It's the truth!"

Cut back to Mike. Davy and Micky burst into the room dragging Peter with them.

"Mike!" they shout in unison.

"Hey, guys, did you have fun at the party?" he asks, looking up.

"Look what we found outside at the party!" says Davy.

"That's nice," says Mike, "But we've already got one."

"Hi, Mike!" says Peter

Then Mike remembered that, in his haste, he had forgotten to take Peter home. He pretended to fall asleep.

"Mike. Mike! MIKE!" shout Davy and Micky.

"Well fine, then. But we're not letting you out of this room until you tell us what happened to Peter and why you weren't watching him."

"You're evil!" says Mike, and pretends to fall back asleep.

Cut to Princess Gwen and her father.

"Oh, daddy, I've just got to find that boy! He was simply divine. But all I have is his hat!"

"It's okay, Princess. Hey, I think I've seen that hat before. One of those boys in your uncle's building wears it. Maybe we can go see who it is."

"Oh, daddy! That would be wonderful! Thank you, daddy!"

Cut to the pad. Davy, Micky and Peter are practicing on the platform. Mike is heard banging on his door, demanding to be let out. The doorbell rings. Davy answers it and Princess Gwen and her father are on the other side.

"Oh, hello!" they all exclaim.

"My daughter wants to go out with one of you."

All look at Davy.

"Here he is!" says Micky.

"I don't think that's him," she says, "I think he was taller. All I can identify him by is this." She shows them the hat.

"Why, that rat!" says Micky to Davy.

"He must have been out of his mind!" says Davy back.

Peter smiles and waves.

"So, darling, which of them is it?" asks Princess's father.

"I don't know. I'd have to try the hat on all of them."

The three Monkees line up. First she tries Davy, but the hat slips over his eyes. Then she tries Micky, but his hair isn't right, she shakes her head. Next she tries Peter. The hat sort of fits.

"Well, if that's the last of you, I guess he's the one," she says, still feeling that he's not the one. Peter smiles.

Suddenly the noise of banging on the door is heard and Mike once again begins shouting to be let out.

"Wait! Who's that?"

"Who's who?" asks Davy, defensively.

"From that room over there," she points in the direction of Mike's room.

"Oh that's uh, our parrot!" says Micky.

"How does it bang on the door then?"

"Well, that's our elephant."

First few bars of "Circus Boy" theme song play.

She goes to the door anyway, and opens it. Mike steps out.

"My hat!" he exclaims, ripping it off of Peter's head. Peter looks up pitifully. "Princess Gwen! It's me!"

"I never caught your name..."

"Mike Nesmith."

They both get stars in their eyes. "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" plays as they chase Mike, interspersed with footage of them playing the song. Screen blacks out.

End