Fun Ways to Confuse Your Roommate
- Sit up. Say "time to make the doughnuts." Leave. Do this often.
- Every five minutes, get up, open door, peek out, close door, and
- Name your socks.
- Express an extreme fear of sunlight. Move away from and flinch at
any areas of the room that are sunny.
- Pick up the phone every five minutes and say "hello." Look confused
and hang up.
- Answer the alarm clock when the phone rings and vice versa.
- Try to make meals using your roommate's electric blanket.
- Hang your posters upside down.
- Unwrap a candy bar. Throw the chocolate away. Eat the wrapper. Smile.
- When listening to the radio, sing along with different lyrics and
a different tune.
- Address your roommate by a different name each time you talk to her/him.
- Speak in limericks.
- Announce "nature is calling." Run for the phone. Answer it.
- Seal an envelope. Write a letter. Complain loudly that you cannot
get it into the envelope. Discard and repeat.
- Aerate your underwear drawer. Claim "they" are not getting enough
- Constantly drink from an empty glass.
- Respond to your roommate's questions with unrelated answers.
- Every time you handle something of your roommate's, use a tissue
- While unlocking your door with the key, complain that the engine
- Name your animal crackers. Mourn them after you eat them.
- Use your VCR as a toaster, stuffing bread or pop-tarts into it every
morning. When you eat them, complain that something doesn't taste quite
right. Adjust the tracking on your VCR, and from then on rave about
how good the food is.
- Keep a plant by your telephone. Every time you enter the room, ask
the plant if anybody called. Complain to your roomate that the plant
has been making up wild stories about important phone calls.
- Get a pet rock. Sleep with it, and read it bedtime stories. Every
night, as soon as you turn out the light, start screaming at the top
of your lungs. Explain to your roomate that the rock is afraid of the
- Get a trampoline for your room. Invite your friends over and jump
on it all the time. Then, while your roomate is gone, get rid of the
trampoline and draw a chalk outline of a human body on the ceiling.
If your roomate inquires, say that you don't want to discuss it.
- Set your alarm for any time during the day. When it goes off, immediately
go to bed, letting the alarm clock continue to buzz until your roomate
turns it off. When he/she does, get up and go about your normal daily
- Put an umbrella up, over your bed. Sleep underneath it at night.
If your roomate asks about it, respond by saying, "A storm's a-brewin'."
Then, one night, get a bucket of water and dump it on your roomate while
he/she is sleeping. Get back into bed. If your roomate asks about the
incident, claim that you don't know what happened.
- Get a gasoline can and fill it up with water. Keep it under your
bed. Wait until your roomate is around, and start running around the
room. Then, collapse, and say, "Damn, I ran out of gas!" Crawl over
to the gasoline can and drink from it. Get up and start running around
- Get two mannequins and keep them inside the room. Every day, dress
up one to look like yourself and the other to look like your roomate.
One day, position them so that your mannequin is shaking the roomate's
mannequin's hand. Later that day, shake your roomate's hand. The next
day, position them so that your mannequin is kicking the roomate mannequin.
Later that day, kick your roomate. The next day, position them so that
your mannequin is stabbing the roomate mannequin with a really big knife.
Glare at your roomate the rest of the day.
- Keep a variety of bugs and insects inside a jar. Use a stethoscope
to "listen" to what the insects are talking about. Act like you can't
understand anything. Then at night, get up suddenly, turn on the lights,
and start yelling "Shut Up! I'm trying to sleep! God, you guys are so
damn loud - I can't here myself think!" Continue complaining for about
a half an hour. Do this every night until all the bugs are dead, at
which time, sob, sniff and say, "I'm gonna miss those guys!"
- Get an air pump. Put the end in your mouth, and start pumping. Do
so for a few seconds. Repeat this action every day, eventually extending
the amount of "pumping" time to several minutes. Then, one day, while
your roomate is out, get some blood, intestines and anything else you
can find in the biology lab. Scatter and smear these things around the
room, leaving the air pump in the center. Leave your roomate a note
that reads, "I'm sorry, I just can't stand living with you anymore.
So, I'm ending it all. Sorry about the mess!"
- Make brown-bag lunches for your roommate every morning. Give them
to him/her before he/she goes to class.
- Every time you enter the room, sit in a chair, lean back too far,
and fall over backwards. Laugh hysterically for about ten minutes. Then,
one day, repeat the falling-over exercise, but instead of laughing,
get up, look at the chair sternly, and say, "It's not funny anymore."
- Read with a flashlight when the lights are on. Pretend to read without
one when the lights are out, remarking every so often how great the
- Get a surfboard. Put it on your bed. Stand on it, and pretend to
surf for about fifteen minutes. Then, pretend to "wipe out," and fall
off the bed onto the floor. Pretend you are drowning until your roommate
comes over to "rescue" you.
- Keep a hamster as a pet. Buy a blender, and make milkshakes everyday.
Then, one day, get rid of the hamster. Make a shake using a lot of ketchup.
When your roommate comes in, look at the shake, look at the empty cage,
and tell your roommate, "I was curious."
- Make toast for breakfast every morning, but don't plug the toaster
in. Eat the plain bread, looking at the toaster angrily, and complain
that the toaster doesn't know what it's doing. If your roommate suggests
plugging it in, go on a tangent about fire-safety hazards.
- Pack up all of your things and tell your roommate that you're going
away to "find yourself." Leave, and come back in about ten minutes.
If your roommate asks, explain that you're not a hard man to find.
- Never speak to your roommate directly. If you need to ask or tell
him/her something, go to another room and call him/her on the phone.
- Every night, before you go to bed, beg your roommate for a glass
of water. When he/she brings it, dump it on the floor and immediately
go to sleep. If he/she ever refuses to bring you a glass of water, lie
on the bed and pretend to be dying of dehydration, making annoying gagging
sounds, until he/she does so.
- Every time the phone rings, turn on the stereo at full volume and
begin to violently slam-dance with your roommate. If he/she asks about
it, say, "Oh, that damn hypnotist...."
- Hang a picture of your roommate on the wall. Throw darts at it. Smile
at your roommate often, saying things like, "How nice to see you again."
- Get a can of beans. Label them, "Jumping beans." Eat them, and then
jump around the room. Get another can of beans. Label them, "Dancing
beans." Eat them, and then dance around the room. Get another can of
beans. Label them, "Kill Your Roommate beans." Eat them, smiling at
- Every time your roommate falls asleep, wait ten minutes, and then
wake him/her up and say, "It's time to go to bed now."
- Insist that your roommate recite the "Pledge Of Allegiance" with
you every morning.
- Recite "Dr. Seuss" books, all the time. Eventually, think up melodies
for the words and sing them, loudly, directly to your roommate. If he/she
tells you to stop, act offended and spend the day in bed.
- Put up traffic signs around the room. If your roommate doesn't obey
them, give him/her tickets. Confiscate something your roommate owns
until he/she pays the tickets.
- Walk, talk, and dress like a cowboy at all times. If your roommate
inquires, tell him/her, "Don't worry little buckaroo. You'll be safe
- Complain that your elbows, knees, and other joints have been bothering
you. Get a screwdriver, and pretend to "fix" them.
- Paint abstract paintings, and title them things like, "Roommate Dying
in a Car Crash," and "Roommate Getting Whacked in the Head with a Shovel."
Comment often about how much you love the paintings.
- Wear glasses, and complain that you can never see anything. Bump
into walls and doors. Put your clothes on backwards. Say, "Who's that?"
every time your roommate enters the room. When you're not wearing the
glasses, act like you can see fine.
- Buy a lava lamp. Stare at it for hours, imitating its movements with
your face. Explain to your roommate that you have established a connection
with the spirit world through the lava lamp. Tell your roommate that
"Grandma said hi."
- Keep empty jars on the shelf. Tell your roommate that this is your
collection of "inert gases." Look at them often. One day, act surprised
and angered, and accuse your roommate of having released one of the
gases. Cover your nose and mouth and run out of the room.
- Wear scary Halloween masks. Look in the mirror and scream hysterically
for about five minutes every time you put one on.
- Rollerskate up and down the hallway. Every time you see your roommate,
crash into him/her and knock him/her down. Apologize, and say that he/she
looked like "the enemy."
- Put headphones on your roommate while he/she is sleeping, and subliminally
teach him/her to speak Spanish, play the trombone, and memorize all
the major imports and exports of each African nation.
- Stick your head out the window, but forget to open it, so that your
head crashes through the glass. Then say, "Silly me," open the window
again, and try to stick your head through. Act like you hit your head
- Dress like a military officer. Insist that your roommate salute you
upon sight. If he/she refuses, insist that he/she do 100 push-ups. Keep
saying things like, "Your momma isn't here to take care of you any more."
- Keep a collection of teeth in a jar. Act excited whenever you add
to it, and say things like, "In a little while I'll have enough for
- Get a pet rabbit. At a designated time every day, take the rabbit
into the bathroom and engage in loud shouting matches. If your roommate
inquires, refuse to discuss the situation.
- Spread toothpicks all over the floor. Stare at them, acting like
you're trying to read something. Tell your roommate it's a message from
God, but you're not sure whether it's a warning about a loved one in
danger or a recipe for really great chili.