Fanfic Dorks 'R' Us Photos Live Journal
 
 

The Deerfield Academy Series, by Kittie
image created by JulieOh

II - Assembly

"Settle down, boys, settle down...."

Banks slouched down in his seat, sandwiched between Anthony and Timberwood, with Josh on Anthony's other side. He'd found himself beginning to bond with the other three boys despite himself, but having to sit through this stupid assembly was beginning to remind him of why he was not happy to be here.

"Cheer up, Buttercup," Anthony whispered, placing a hand on his knee. "Maybe it won't be so bad."

"And maybe you'll be reformed and turn into a right-wing Christian activist," Banks shot back, yanking his leg away.

"Ooh," Anthony's laughter was audible in his reply. "Touchy, aren't we?"

"Boys, I'm Jonathan Wright, the headmaster here at Deerfield Academy. If you're here, it probably means you're new to our school, so we'd like to introduce ourselves and give you a little taste of what Deerfield Academy is like. First of all, who here is starting as a first year student?"

Most of the hands in the auditorium went up.

"Wonderful!" Wright looked pleased. "Now, how many have transferred in?"

Anthony raised his hand, then poked Banks in the side when he neglected to do the same. Banks ignored him.

"Good, good," Wright continued. The hands went down. Now, you may have noticed that some of your fellow students didn't raise their hands. Will our current Deerfield students please stand?"

Timberwood and Josh stood, along with a handful of others.

"These young men were nice enough to volunteer to be representatives for Deerfield today. They're willing to show you around, answer your questions, and basically to be your guides as you begin to settle into life here at Deerfield. Thank you, boys, you may sit." They did so. "Now, I would like to introduce to you a young man who started here at Deerfield last year, who has already made quite an impression. He is a straight A student, a member of our chess, croquet, and lacrosse teams, and a talented member of our choir—James Bass, everyone."

Anthony's mouth fell open as a young man in the first row stood. "Good lord," he murmured, a small blush staining his cheeks. "That boy... is so... pretty."

Banks looked at the boy slowly making his way to the raised stage, feeling inexplicably jealous. The boy was of average height with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. His spiky hair was light brown with blond tips. "He's not so pretty," he muttered, causing Timberwood to grin knowingly at him.

"Jealous?"

"No!"

Timberwood laughed, and Anthony wrenched his gaze away from the pretty boy to glance reassuringly at him. "Don't worry, BB," he said, smiling. "I still think you're hot." Then pretty boy started to talk, and Anthony blushed even deeper, his head whipping around to face front. "Oh... my... God! That voice!"

"Hi, I'm James Bass, like Mr. Wright said, and I'm here to welcome you to Deerfield on behalf of the student body." His voice was low and melodic, with a hint of a southern accent. "Deerfield Academy is a first-rate academic facility, but it also has a ton of extra-curricular activities for you to get involved in. Later this week, there will be a soft of activities fair, where you can sign up for anything you like. We'll have music, games, food...."

Banks snuck another glance at Anthony, who was gazing at the deep-voiced boy in absolute rapture. Once again he cursed his own naturally high voice. Any day now, he'd hit puberty. Yeah.

Timberwood poked him in the side again. "Seriously," he whispered, trying hard not to smirk, "are you jealous? 'Cause if you have a thing for Tony—"

"I do not have a thing for Tony, okay?" Banks had to fight to keep his voice down. "I just... don't see what's so great about that guy, that's all."

Timberwood eyed him intensely, and Banks forced himself to hold that penetrating gaze. "Okay," the curly-haired youth said finally, turning his attention back to the stage. "Whatever you say."

Banks made a mental note to get the heck off campus and pick up a girl at the first opportunity.

~*~

Immediately after the assembly, Anthony leapt to his feet and went in search of James Bass. Banks was left with Timberwood and Joshua, both of whom seemed to find the situation hilarious.

"Man, is he in for a surprise," Joshua chuckled, his eyes sparkling as he watched Anthony make his way closer to the young blond.

"Why's that?" Banks asked, more as a reflex than out of a genuine desire to know.

"'Cause James Bass is absolutely nothing like that guy he pretended to be, up there at the podium."

Banks crinkled his nose, confused. "Huh?"

"Man, he's a bastard!" Timberwood laughed out loud. "He's got all of the teachers wrapped around his little Southern finger, but he is pure evil, I'm telling you."

Banks looked up to the front of the room, where James was surrounded by a crowd of freshmen... and Anthony. "Really...." He felt a tiny smile beginning to form on his face. "Evil, huh?"

"Just your kind of guy, right?" Joshua poked him in the arm. "You'll see. James Bass may be too much even for you, Banks."

Banks grinned his evillest grin. "We'll see."

~*~

Anthony turned when Banks, Joshua, and Timberwood came up behind him, Timberwood tapping him on the shoulder. "Oh, hi, guys! I was just about to tell James, here, what a wonderful speech he gave."

"Really?" Timberwood reached out a fist to James, who grinned and met it with a fist of his own. "How's it goin', Jamie?"

"Just fine," drawled the blond. "Glad that stupid assembly is over." He rolled his eyes slightly. "I swear, they must get worse every year. Ours wasn't this bad, was it?"

Joshua shrugged. "It was bound to be worse, if they asked you to speak."

James widened his light green eyes in mock hurt. "Why, Joshua, I'm shocked and appalled that you would say something like that! You actually made a joke, is the world coming to an end?"

Joshua blushed slightly. "Shut up."

Banks just grinned, while poor Anthony looked terribly confused.

"Jamie, this is Banks Brockton, and that dude there is Anthony Giovanni."

"Charmed, I'm sure." James' voice positively dripped with sarcasm.

"Likewise." Banks gave the blond his best smirk. "So... croquet?"

James rolled his eyes. "Jesus.... Let me tell you, that is the gayest sport known to man." He glanced over at Anthony, his lips quirking up slightly. "No offense."

Anthony drew himself up in absolute outrage. "Well!" He stalked away in a huff.

James shrugged, completely unconcerned, and Banks burst into laughter. Timberwood grinned at James. "I think you and Banks will get along pretty good, James."

James shrugged again. "Sure, whatever."

End


Screencap in the "Deerfield" image taken from *NSYNC: THEN AND NOW and used with permission. Many thanks to them!
"Deerfield" image © 2000-2001 JulieOh


Email: kittie.verdena@gmail.com