Christmas
by Agent Newbeau

I'll be home for Christmas.

The words echoed in Mike's brain. Over and over the lyric went through his mind until he wanted to cry. This year was the one year he had been sure he would be able to make it home for Christmas. He had the money so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that the doctor said Ellen couldn't travel that far yet and he was not going to go without her.

It was five days before Christmas and the pad was decorated for the holiday. A brightly decorated tree stood in one corner with presents piled underneath. On one wall, there were five stocking with their names on them, even a little one for the baby. That had been Davy's idea. It was his way of showing he cared and Mike really appreciated it.

He thought about his mother all alone back home in Dallas and wished he could be home with her. She had always managed to make Christmas a wonderful holiday. He wanted to be home.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Ellen beside him. "What's wrong, Baby?" she asked.

"Just thinking," he said. "I wish I could be home. I was hoping we could spend Christmas with my mother."

"I know, Baby, but Dr. Diehl said I couldn't travel yet," she said. "Maybe in a few weeks, after the holidays. I want to go, too, but we can't risk it. We can go next year, all three of us."

"But I really wanted to be home this year," he protested. "I wanted to spend Christmas with my mother, not here."

"I know," she said, "but it's best that we stay here, for the baby's sake."

He nodded and placed one hand on her stomach. It was still too early for any movement, but that didn't stop him for wishing for at least some flicker of something to let him know the child was there. He pushed her shirt up a bit and pressed his lips to the exposed flesh. Somewhere in there was his child, their child. At least he still had that.

He heard somewhere call his name and looked up to see Peter. He was blushing at catching them in such a position, but did say anything. "What is it, Peter?" Mike asked.

"Your mother is on the phone," he said.

"What reason did you give her for not visiting?" Ellen asked Mike.

"The usual," he answered. "No money."

"You can't hide the truth from her forever," Ellen told him.

"I know, but I want to tell her in person. I was hoping to do that on Christmas Eve. Now it will just have to wait."

"At least tell her that we're getting married," Ellen urged him. "That way it won't be such a shock when we tell her about the baby."

Mike sighed in defeat. "Okay, I'll tell her," he said.

Mike picked up the phone. "Hi, Mom."

"Hello, Michael," Elizabeth Nesmith said. "Is there any chance you can make it home?"

"No, I told you, we don't have the money." Mike hated lying to his mother. "Besides, we already made plans to spend Christmas with Micky's mother." This, at least, was not a lie. They had made plans to spend the day with Micky's mother and sisters.

"All four of you?" Elizabeth asked.

"There's five of us, Mom. Ellen is going to be there, too."

"So things are pretty serious between you two?"

Mike hesitated before answering. Maybe he should just go ahead and tell her. "I need to tell you something," he said.

"What is it?"

"I should have told you this sooner, but I was waiting for Christmas and since we can't make it for Christmas, I guess I better tell you now. I'm getting married."

There was a long pause and Mike held his breath as he waited for his mother to say something. Long seconds passed. Finally, a full minute later, she spoke. "When did this happen?" she asked.

"I asked her last month. We haven't really set a date yet. We've both been busy lately."

Another long pause. "You're both you, you don't have much money. What about a few years down the road when you have a family? What are you going to do then?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," Mike said. He didn't want to tell her that they wouldn't have a family not in a few years, but in six months. "We'll make it work."

"Then I wish you the best. I love you."

"I love you too, Mom," Mike said. "I'll be home for Christmas next year." He hung up the phone. "All three of us," he added to himself.

End