Spanish Eyes
by Lillian Jones

The phone rang that day at 9am in the morning at 1334 North Beechwood. Mike Nesmith dragged himself over to the phone and picked it up.

"Hello?" he said groggily. "This is he."

"Mickey!" the girl said. " It's your cousin, Daisy ."

"Daisy?" Mike asked.

"De." she said.

"OH! YEAH!" he said with a grin. "How are ya? I haven't seen ya in God-knows-when." he said.

"Si," she said. "I was wondering I'm out in California and I wondered if I could come over for a bit if that's alright with you?" she said.

"Sure!" he said. "I don't mind at all you can come over."

"Gracias Mickey! I'll see you inna bit, Adios!" she said.

"Bye!" he said, running up stairs.

Micky was sitting on the bed looking at a MAD magazine, laughing.

"Hey Micky, my cousin Daisy is coming." he said.

"Oh, the one you call De?" he asked.

Mike laughed. "Yeah," he chuckled. "She's really a sweetheart, you are gonna like her."

Micky smiled.

"I bet I'm not the only one." Micky said grinning.

Mike rolled his eyes, "Don't remind me."

"Is she the one whose like Spanish?" Micky asked.

"Yeah she is got it from my uncle's side of my mom's family." he said.

Micky nodded.

"So, come on get ready man!" Mike said pulling him off the bed.

"Okay, okay sheeesh!" Micky said going over to the closet.

Mike ran over to Peter and Davy's room and knocked on the door and stuck his head in the door "Come on guys company is a-comin' my cousin's comin' from San Antonio." he said.

Peter and Davy looked at each other, groaned and got ready.

Mike ran back in his room changed and ran down stairs to where Micky was sitting on the couch trying not to fall asleep.

"Hey Mick, there might be a small problem, she calls me Mickey, only it's spelled with and 'E'." he said.

"Mickey Nesmith?" he said. "That sounds weird."

"Not much weirder than Mike Dolenz." he said with a smirk.

"True." Micky said.

Peter and Davy walked down stairs.

"So what does she look like?" Micky said.

Davy's ears perked up.

"Well she's 5'4, black hair, tan skin, green eyes." he said.

"Your cousin's a chick?" Davy said with hope.

"Yeah," he said glaring at him. "But don't be thinkin' about anythin' Daisy's a sweet girl."

"I won't." he said smiling.

"You better not." Mike said as there was knock on the front door, and he walked over to it and opened it. "DE!" he said grinning.

"MICKEY!" she said as she hugged him.

Davy and Peter looked at each other and mouthed "Mickey?"

Mike cleared his throat.

"Oh sorry, Mike." she said grinning.

"That's better." he said smiling as he brought her stuff in. "Guys this is Daisy , m'cousin." he said.

"Hi." The three said in unison.

Daisy smiled.

"This is Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork and uh Davy Jones." he said.

She nodded at them each and looked at Davy and got stars in her eyes.

Davy smiled and his eyes twinkled.

"Uh oh..."Micky said, "looks like somebody likes someone."

"Oh merciful heavens." Mike said sighing.

~*~

A week had passed by and Daisy had been coming over. She never really asked Davy out she kept on dodging him and his eyes. She never saw such beautiful eyes. Davy, on the other hand, trying to keep asking her out and such. He even gave her a nick-name, which made Daisy melt, "Spanish Eyes."

"Daisy, would you to come to the carnival we're performing' at tomorrow?" Mike asked.

"Oh, a concert? Si! I'll come." she said smiling.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." he said.

"Adios, Mike... Adios, guys!"

"Bye, Daize!" They said.

"Adios, Spanish Eyes." Davy said grinning

Daisy turned crimson red and walked to were she was staying.

Mike glared at Davy. "What did I tell you?" he scolded. "And what's with this 'Spanish Eyes'?" he asked.

"I think the name suits 'er." he said.

"Yeah well that ain't her name Davy... it's Daisy.." he reminded him.

"I know what her bloomin' name is Mike, it's just a nickname." he said.

Mike growled and went up stairs. "Come on Micky." Mike called.

Micky shot out of his seat and followed Mike upstairs.

Davy shook his head. "Come on, Petah, lets go to bed I'm tired." he said going to their room as Peter followed.

~*~

That morning they rehearsed for about 3 hours starting at 9am. After they got done they went to the carnival and sat up their instruments.

Daisy came up to where they were and stood in the front of the crowd.

The first song they sang was "Papa Gene's Blues"

Daisy thought it was an interesting song and clapped after they were done. Micky and Peter sang "Words" Davy sang "Laugh" and Mike sang a couple of his new pieces.

"This is our last song," Davy announced and the crowd sighed. "It's called, 'She Hangs Out'." he said grinning as the Mike broke out into the intro. Davy danced around stage singing and Daisy watched him with her yearning eyes. After the song was over, Davy hoped off stage and was surrounded by girls, Peter, Mike, and Micky were chased by 4 girls with an autograph book. Davy made his way through the crowd of girls looking for Daisy, and spotted her.

"SPANISH EYES!" he called after her.

She looked towards him and grinned. "Davy! Over here, amigo!" she called. Davy took off over to where she was.

"Did you like the concer' Spanish Eyes?" he asked smiling.

"Yes, I liked Meuyo bueno." she said.

Davy smiled his darling smile at her and winked.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it, would you look to do anything?" he asked.

"Si, I would love to." she said smiling.

Davy grinned and dragged her over to the Tunnel of Love.

"Oh no." she said teasingly.

"What? you don't want to?" he asked.

"Si, I want to, I was just kidding." she grinned.

Davy smiled, and the got in the little boat and he started to row.

She looked around nervously and brushed her hair behind her ears.

Davy looked at her, and he casually started to sing "I Can't Get Her Off of My Mind". Daisy looked up at him, and smiled.

"I like that.." she said.

He smiled. "I wrote it just this past week.." he said with a grin. "It's about you."

Daisy blushed. "Gracias." she said.

"Pornada" he said with a smile.

She laughed.

Davy leaned in and kissed her lips lightly.

She looked at him with her green eyes.

He smiled. "Spanish Eyes, I love you." Davy said.

"Oh si, I love you too David." she said. "But.."

"Bu' wha'?" he asked.

"It's Michael... he gets awfully mad when we're together." she sighed.

"Ah, 'e'll jus' 'ave to get mad then." he said grinning.

Daisy smiled and nodded in agreement. She scooted closer to Davy and laid her head on her shoulder. He kissed her cheek and kept rowing.

Mike, Micky and Peter came toward the exit of the Tunnel of Love and stood there looking for Davy and Daisy.

"Hey Mike, there they are." Peter shouted pointing over to the exit.

Mike looked over to the exit and saw them cuddled up, his face turned red and gave Davy a look. If looks could kill this would knock Davy from the boat and make him drown. When Daisy looked up, she grinned at Mike and cuddled up even closer to Davy. He smiled and put his arm around her. When the boat came to a stop, Davy got out and helped Daisy out.

"Come on Spanish Eyes." he said smiling.

She got out and smiled and gave him a quick little peck. "Gracias David."

Davy grinned, "De nada."

"Davy, since when can you speak Español?" Micky asked.

"Ever since I was 17." he said with a grin.

Daisy smiled. "Davy, I'm impressed. You speak it very well for a English person." she said grinning.

"Gracias." he said.

"Pornada." she said grinning back.

"Michael, you go on up ahead and we'll catch up si?" Daisy said.

"Are you sure." he asked.

"Andele! Vaminose!" she said.

Mike looked at her in surprise and motioned Peter and Micky to follow him toward the Ferris Wheel.

Davy smiled. "Oh de nada, señorita, they were becoming annoying." he said.

"Si, Michael is so uptight he's driving me loco in the cabesa!" she said.

Davy laughed, "Yeah, Mike will drive you crackers." he said.

~*~

Mike looked at his watch. "11:30" he sighed. Peter looked up from the table at the pad.

"Mike, calm down, they'll be back.." Peter said.

"Yeah they will." Micky said.

Mike paced back and forth glancing at his watch every 5 minutes. He stopped when he heard giggling outside and what he thought was Davy singing.

"Riu riu chiu, la guarda ribera dios guardo el lobo de nuestra cordera, Dios guardo el lobo de neustra cordera. El lobo rabioso la quiso morder, Mas Dios poderoso la supo defender; Quisola hazer que no pudiese pecar, Ni aun original esta Virgen no tuviera. Riu, riu chiu..." he sang with Daisy joining in.

"Riu, riu chiu...Este qu'es nacido es el gran monarca, Christo patriarca de carne vestido; Hemos redemido con se hazer chiquito, Aunqu'era infinito, finito se hiziera. Riu, riu chiu..." she sang walking in the pad.

"It's nearly 12am! where have you been?" Mike asked.

"Michael, we were just taking a walk... u don't need to get uptight for no reason." Daisy said.

Mike glared at her and walked up stairs with Peter and Micky following.

Daisy put her arms around Davy and kissed him passionately. Davy smiled held her close. Mike watched in the shadow as they kissed. He growled and went into his room.

Daisy pulled back, "Davy...we shouldn't be doing this...." she said.

"Are you uncomfortable with it?" he asked.

"No, I just don't feel right doing this, comprende?" she asked.

"Si." he said. "But, I love you, I want to be with you."

"I know you love me, it's just that..." she said.

"It's just that what?" he asked.

"I love you, but, I have to leave tomorrow.." she said.

Davy's eyes began to tear up and he held in the tears. "Oh, I see.." he said sitting down.

She sat down next to him. "Davy, I'm sorry...I was going to tell you..." she said.

Davy nodded. "That's okay, it doesn't matter." he said lowly.

She kissed him. "Davy, I'm sorry and I do love you.." she said.

He smiled and kissed her cheek lightly. "I know...I just.." he trailed off then kissed her and going to his room.

Daisy started to cry and ran out of the house back to her apartment room and started to pack.

~*~

The next morning Daisy came over, Davy answered the door.

"Oh, came to say goodbye?" he asked with a slight smile.

She nodded. "Si." she said.

Mike went and hugged her. "Love you, come back Daisy." he said

She nodded and said good-bye to them and left.

Later that day, Davy watched the sunset. He'll never forget Daisy. He'll always remember when they went to the carnival. He'll never let his "Spanish Eyes" go.

End