The Play
by Xanira

Tag:
Scene: A large stage (well, not that large) upper-left stage is a stone wall with a gate and a tree next to it. Off to right stage is a patch of woods. Near lower center stage is a pond, which is actually just a puddle of water. Everywhere else there's just grass. Curtain is currently down.

Mike: (steps out from behind the curtains) good evening everybody. Today we have a special treat for you. We are gonna put on a play called "Peter and the Wolf." I will be playing the part of the grandfather.

Peter, Davy and Micky step out onto the stage. Micky is dragging Mr. Schneider.

Mike: Peter will be playing, uh, Peter. (Peter bows a bit, grinning) Davy will be playing the part of the clever bird...

Davy: Wait a minute Mike. Bird? How am I supposed to fly?

Mike: Don't worry about it Davy, we've thought of that.

Two stagehands dressed in black come onto the stage and tie a rope around Davy's middle.

Davy: (unenthusiastically) oh, charming.

Mike: Now, Micky will be playing the part of the big, gray wolf...

Micky: (howls)

Mike: Man, not yet. Mr. Schneider will be playing the duck...

Micky: You mean I have to eat Mr. Schneider?

Mike: Will you guys please let me get through the introduction?

Peter: I didn't say anything, not a word!

Mike: (sighs) The cat will be played by Hal (holds up a black Abyssinian cat), and the three hunters will be played by three actors we hired. Now, let the show begin!

Davy: Not yet.

Mike: Huh? Why not?

Davy: The actors haven't arrived yet.

Fade to theme song.

Scene 1: The curtain rises. The narrator from Faerie Tale is standing off to the side of the stage.

Narrator: Long ago, there was a little boy named Peter. He was a brave and curious boy. He lived in a little cottage in the middle of a meadow near some deep, dark woods. One day, Peter decided to take a walk out in the meadow.

Peter: (Tries opening the gate, it is stuck. Bangs on the gate, knocks it down) Oops. (Walks out to the meadow while stagehands repair the gate.) Ah, isn't it a beautiful day?

Narrator: Suddenly, Peter heard chirping coming from in a tree. It was his friend, the bird.

Davy: (up in the tree, has on fake wings.)(To camera) Y'know, I feel really ridiculous. (To Peter) Chirp, chirp. Hi Pete. How're ya doin'?

Peter: Oh, fine thanks Mr. Bird. I just thought I'd take a stroll outside. It's such a beautiful day.

Narrator: Then, a duck came waddling out. He was glad Peter hadn't shut the gate, and decided to take a little swim in the pond outside.

Mr. Schneider, with a rope attached to him dragging him out the open gate. He is dragged face down into the pond where he just floats there.

Narrator: The bird saw the duck and decided to fly down and talk to him.

Davy: (whispers to Mike offstage) are you sure about this, man?

Mike: (offstage) Sure, I'm sure!

Davy: Alright then. (Edges out of the tree)(Falls to the ground) Ahhh! Oof! Ooh...

Peter: Dav...ah, Mr. Bird! Are you all right?

Davy: Just groovy Peter. (Stands up and cracks his back. Then glares at Mike offstage)

Mike: (gives a "what're ya gonna do?" shrug)

Davy: (Walks over to the pond and nudges Mr. Schneider with the toe of his shoe.) Hey, man, what kind of bird are you if you can't fall, uh, fly? (Pulls Mr. Schneider's string)

Mr. Schneider: (gurgling) It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at allƯ

Davy and Mr. Schneider are arguing back and forth and Hal comes out the gate.

Narrator: Suddenly, the cat came out the gate. Seeing that the bird was busy arguing, he decided to sneak up on him and grab him.

Hal: (stalking Davy)

Peter: Look out, Mr. Bird!

Davy: Wha...?

Hal: (pounced on Davy's back, using claws)

Davy: (running around in circles) Ahh! Get him off! Get him off!

Peter grabs Hal off Davy and puts him down near the tree.

Narrator: Then, Peter's grandfather came out. He was angry because Peter had wandered into the meadow.

Mike: (comes out of gate, accidentally knocking it down. Walks over to Peter)

The stagehands come out and fix the gate again.

Mike: Peter! How many times have I told you not to come out into the meadow?

Peter: I don't know. I got a D in math.

Mike: Now, you come home right now or else you can't watch that Monkees show on TV tonight.

Peter: I'll be good! Promise!

Mike leads Peter back through the gate, knocking it over. Stagehands fix it again.

Narrator: Just as grandfather closed the door, a big, gray wolf came out of the forest.

Micky: (comes in, stage right, has on big, gray ears, a long snout, a long belt-tail, and gray fur sticking out his sleeves) Ahem, aarrroooooooooo! I'm hungry! Growl! Snarl!

Fade out to commercial.

Scene 2: Fade in to Micky growling and snarling.

Narrator: Oh, my. The big, gray wolf is hungry and has spotted our feathered friends. The bird immediately flew up into the tree (shows Davy struggling to climb the tree), and cat also climbed up after it (shows Hal climbing up Davy's back and sitting on a branch. Davy finally manages to pull himself onto another branch), and the duck started quacking at the wolf. In fact, he was so excited that he jumped out of the pond. (Shows Mr. Schneider being pulled out of the pond by the rope) No matter how hard he ran, the duck couldn't escape the big, gray wolf. The wolf pounced on him and swallowed him up in a single bite! (Shows Micky pouncing on Mr. Schneider, chewing on Mr. Schneider's hand).

Micky: (whispers to Mike offstage) how am I supposed to eat him?

Mike: (whispers from offstage) you don't! Just pretend you ate him and the stagehands will drag him offstage.

Micky: (whispers) okay. (Pretends to eat Mr. Schneider) Mmm, yummy. (Mr. Schneider gets dragged offstage by the rope) Groovy.

Narrator: But the wolf was still hungry. He circled the tree where the bird and cat sat in. (shows Micky circling the tree) All this time, Peter had been watching this from behind the stone wall. (Close-up of Peter peeking over the wall) He had an idea on how to capture the wolf. He ran inside his cottage and got out a long piece of rope. He then climbed onto the stone wall and onto the tree limb where the bird sat.

Peter: (climbs to the limb, sits next to Davy) Fancy meeting you here.

Davy: Got a plan?

Peter: Sure do. Go circle around the wolf's head.

Davy: What are you, crazy? I'm not about to start flying again.

Peter: Come on Davy, you gotta.

Davy: Oh, okay, fine.

Peter: And take care not to get eaten by the wolf!

Davy: I'm more worried about crashing into the wolf!

Davy edged off the limb, but this time the rope held him up. He circled the wolf's head and got tangled up in the rope.

Narrator: While the bird was distracting the wolf, Peter made a lasso out of his rope and lowered it. He got it around the wolf's tail and pulled with all his might. The wolf started thrashing around, but that only made the rope tighter!

Peter had lassoed Micky's tail and now Micky is dangling in the air by his tail.

Narrator: All of a sudden, three hunters came out of the woods, shooting off their guns.

Pans over to Mike, Davy, and Micky dressed in hunting clothes.

Mike: (to the camera) the actors never made it.

Peter: Oh hunters, don't shoot. Me and the bird have captured this wolf. Now please help us take it to the zoo. (The rope frays and Micky falls on his head)

Micky: Zoo my foot, take me to a hospital.

Narrator: The hunters agreed and now the procession started. The three hunters in the lead, followed by Peter leading the wolf, and at the end, grandfather and the cat. The bird flew happily over them, chirping out his joy.

Mike, Micky and Davy in hunters outfits runs across the stage, then quick change. Peter leads Micky out across the stage; Micky is still trying to tie his snout on. Hal marches across after Peter, trying to pounce on his shoes. Mike comes after Hal, hopping, trying to put his shirt and shoes on. Davy, with the wings on, goes flying back and forth across the stage on the rope, screaming.

Fade out

End