Lady's Baby
by Amy

Lot number 47, on NBC studios...Home. That's basically what they called it, they were there almost all day everyday. Reading scripts, changing scripts, arguing with the producers about which song that they were going to plug into next week's episode. It was all normal, at least, to The Monkees...

It was a grueling day on the set. On any other day, it was the grooviest place to be. But not today...today was different. Peter didn't know why, the day just seemed to be strange. Peter Tork was on his break, holding a cup of steaming coffee in his left hand, while at the same time, trying to avoid the never ending questions coming from "The Monkees" producer, Bob Rafelson.

They'd always be a minute or two short in an episode and try to fill it with corny interviews in which Bob asked "What time is it?" or "What do you think about your success?" Peter spotted Bob talking to Mike and asking him questions. Peter chuckled to himself and mumbled;

"Mike, just tell him to screw off...I know ya wanna".

Bob, Peter guessed, was done interviewing Mike, because he seemed to be heading back to the set.

"BREAK'S OVER...BOYS, WE NEED YA BACK ON THE SET!" Bob shouted so that the four Monkees would come back from where ever they chose to hide on their breaks. Davy (No surprise) emerged from his dressing room, buttoning up his blue "Uniform" Monkee shirt while from behind the door, Peter could hear the giggling of two, maybe three girls. No surprise to Peter. Micky casually walked in the studio from the back door, with a bag from "McDonalds". Peter saw him and supposed that he had walked across the street to the fast food restaurant for lunch. Peter turned and there was Mike, kissing his wife and little boy, Christian, good-bye and before leaving his family, whispered to Christian;

"You take care of mommy, daddy's gotta go back to work"

"Daddy...you always have to leave," said Christian with a sad look on his face. It almost broke Mike's heart when he heard the little 3-year-old beg him not to go. Peter's heart sank for the little boy...and for Mike.

"It must kill him to have to spend all day here with us, rather than with his family" Peter thought, "I only wish I had a family like that...Mike's a lucky guy."

Peter turned back around to hear Mike say, "Sweetie, I promise ya...we'll have all week-end. We can go to the park and play. I promise"

Mike kissed Phyllis and sadly walked back to the set, turning around to see his wife holding the child and telling him to "Wave bye-bye to daddy".

Peter sighed. He took a sip of his coffee before heading back over to the set. Peter set his coffee down on the prop table on the set and sat down in his director's chair, in which, just two days ago, he had a photo shoot in. He looked around and sighed.

"Okay, you guys, we should start now," said Bob taking his place. None of them seemed to be having a good day. Micky had a hamburger half hanging out of his mouth. His voice muffled by it.

"bu- I mam no' done wif my lunch."

Davy half-heartedly laughed at Micky. "Mick, woul' ya hurry up...I 'ave some importan' business t'take care of in me room...if ya know wha' I mean"

Mike was none too happy to be back after having to see his little boy almost in tears because of his daily absence from home.

"Davy, for once could ya keep yer pants on during a shoot," said Mike irritated.

Peter was sick of the bad vibes going around on the set. If they had to be stuck with each other, he would make sure that it'd be happy.

"You guys...keep the peace...I know, we're all tired, but we'll get done faster if we all just get along," said Peter reassuringly "then...we can go home."

Peter's words struck a chord in everyone. The word home must have done it. Micky sighed, and gulped down the rest of his burger, Davy nodded and took his place on the set, Mike (Wanting to go home as soon as he could) quickly grabbed his ever present wool-hat and placed it on his head before walking to his place, and Peter, tired, and starting not to feel so well, got up and walked to his place.

"Just get done with this scene...and you're done..." thought Peter to himself

Bob smiled.

"That's more like it! Ok you guys..."

"One Man Shy---Take 56..."

"And... ACTION"

~*~

"And that's a wrap!" called Bob.

The last scene was finished. Now everyone could be happy, and go home for the night...except for Davy, who was bragging to everyone how he was going to rent a hotel room. The usual "Crap" as Peter called it. Mikes frown turned into a smile when he saw Phyllis come through the back lot door,

Escorted by Joe, the security guard who was hired to keep the little "Teeny-Bopper Brats" away from the actors while they were busy. Peter, out of the corner of his eye, saw Mike hug his wife and offer her a seat and some coffee before heading home for the weekend. Micky was yet again, eating a sandwich. One of the cameramen was teasing Micky;

"By the time you're 30...your veins are gonna be clogged as hell"

"Larry...ya only live once...and I live to eat"

Davy left with 2 girls...Peter didn't recognize them...but then again, he didn't expect to---they were with DAVY JONES.

"Pete...Peter, what's wrong?" asked Bob coming up from behind. All Peter could think is

"Not another interview"

But the cameras were all off...no interview for him, tonight.

"I just don't feel like myself, Bob-"

Peter stopped and stood up. But not for long. His legs fell from below him and all he saw was black.

His head hit the concrete floor.

Pitch black.

"MIKE, PHYLLIS, MICKY...ONE OF YOU, CALL A DOCTOR!" screamed Bob trying to keep watch over his co-worker, and friend.

Micky ran to the phone and called 911. Mike and his wife, worriedly ran over to Peter.

He didn't move...he wouldn't move...

~*~

Bright lights.

Hospital lights.

Peter woke up, slowly. He winced, and warily blinked his eyes open. He has a feeling he knew where he was, but he wasn't too fond of it. His head started to throb as he sat up more. Looking around and seeing that nobody was around, he got up. Not realizing that, one, the door was open, and two, he was wearing a hospital gown and ONLY a hospital gown. Peter stretched, back towards the door...not realizing his bare bottom was flashing all the nurses out in the hallway. He heard laughing and quickly turned around, face beat red. Peter waved weakly to the nurses, then slowly and quietly, made his way back into bed.

"Well, I'm glad to see that you're ok!"

Peter looked around and there was Phyllis standing in the doorway, with Christian.

"Mike'll be here in a minute, he's parking the car. We were on our way to the park and we decided that first, we should see if you woke up yet."

"How long have I been out, Phyll?"

Peter's small smile began to fade

"Don't worry, hun...not THAT long...only 'bout a day. Last night, when ya passed out, we rushed ya here...Doctor said that we should go home, cause we wouldn't have been able t'see ya 'til today, anyways."

Mike came into the room.

"Glad t'see yer up ole buddy! You scared the hell out---"

"Robert Michael!" said Phyllis covering Christian's ears

"Ya scared the heck outta us. I'm glad yer ok. I talked to the doc on the way in here. He said that's probably a mix of over exertion an' fatigue. You're free t'go anytime."

That was the best news that Peter heard in a LONG time. He could FINALLY go home.

Little Christian started to fidget in his mother's arms. He wanted his daddy. Mike took him from his wife and swung him in the air. Christian giggled and smiled. Peter smiled at the two of them.

"Hey...didn't you promise the little guy you'd take him to the park?" asked Peter as if talking to the little boy. "I don't want ya t'break your promise on my behalf. GO, and have fun!"

"Ya sure ya don't need a ride?" asked Mike

"Yes...I'm sure. Now, have fun"

Peter smiled and Phyllis gave Peter a friendly hug and ordered him to stay off his feet and to call if he needed anything. Mike waved a good-bye and said he'd see him Monday..."Bright 'n' early" in Mike's words.

Peter got up, shut his door...but not without waving to the nurses. He found his clothes lying in a neat pile on a chair next to the bathroom door, with a note that read:

"I brought ya something to wear...sorry I couldn't be there when ya woke up---Davy"

"Well, at least he THOUGHT of me..." said Peter aloud. Peter picked up the clean clothes.

It was the red "Monkee" shirt...the uniform and a pair of gray bell bottoms with a belt.

"I can't go out in this...people will know it's me...they'll mob me" thought Peter. It made him laugh, though. He couldn't help but think about what would happen if he were to be mobbed by a mad group of hospitalized teeny boppers. He sighed and put on the shirt anyways. He got totally changed, then packed up what was his into a bag that was underneath the pile Davy had brought him. He opened the door;

"My granddaughter would have DIED to be here...just wait 'til I tell her about a Monkee being here..."

The nurse spotted Peter, giggled lightly and walked away, but not before asking for an autograph

"It's for my---"

"It's for your granddaughter..." he sighed "I know"

He signed the autograph, then signed the release forms and walked down the hallway, heading for the elevator. Peter was surprised on how crowded the elevator was, and that nobody knew it was HIM. When the elevator stopped, it was on the fifth floor. He had to get out on the first floor, but no such luck. He was pushed out. He sighed, and hit the button for the doors to open. But before the doors opened a few doors down, he could hear a little girl. She was crying. Peter couldn't stand it when he heard someone cry. When he was younger, and his mom cried...it killed him. Peter decided to follow the sound of the little girl and maybe try to cheer her up.

"Maybe meeting a famous person will cheer her up," thought Peter

He kept walking. The door was open, just a crack, just enough to see the little girl kneeling on the floor, over her bed, sobbing. She had to be about twelve or thirteen. Her blonde hair twisted and matted as if it hadn't been brushed for three days. Peter peered into the room. He knew she must have been in the hospital for quite some time. It looked like a typical teenager's room. Posters and whatnot. He chuckled to himself when he saw the huge orange Monkee poster hanging over the dreary hospital bed.

She still sat there...crying.

He knocked at the door. The girl didn't move.

He knocked again

"GO AWAY!" she managed to choke out before coughing

Peter just stood there.

After a minute or two, the little girl supposed whoever it was has gone. She had settled herself and wiped her eyes. She looked out the door. She saw someone there, but couldn't make out who it was. She wiped the rest of the blur and tears out of her eyes. The little girl gasped.

"I was on my way out and I heard you crying...you ok?"

The girl couldn't answer. She looked at the bright orange Monkee poster on the white wall of the hospital room.... Then slowly looked at Peter, mouth hanging wide open.

"It's the medicine...it has to be the medicine..." said the girl "Because NOTHING this good happens to me...because if it did, I wouldn't be here"

Peter chuckled.

"I take it you know who I am?" asked Peter laughing

"EVERYONE knows...who YOU are..."

"Well, I'd like to know who YOU are!" said Peter walking over to the little girl, smiling.

"Me? I'm nobody. That's why I'm here...I'm nobody"

Peter held out his hand

"Well, hello nobody...nice to meet you!"

The girl smiled.

"No...My name really...is Callista...but they call me Calli."

Calli pointed in reference to the nurses out in the hall

"They're my only friends. " He expression saddened again.

"No, they're not your only friends...you have me, now."

The smile quickly appeared again.

".... And your parents, too...they are your friends..."

Calli started to cry again

"I'm sorry, Calli...did I say something wrong?" Peter sat down on the bed, next to her.

"I haven't seen my parents since I came here... they won't visit...they left me here to die."

"Oh, Calli...I bet they do care...maybe they can't get here...and what do you mean you're gonna die? You have PLEANTY of years left! C'mon...you'll live to one-hundred and ten!"

Peter made her chuckle...

"No...I won't...Peter...this is the cancer ward...they told me I'm going to die soon..."

Calli looked away, tears in her eyes once again. Peter hugged her rocking her back and fourth...he had the feeling in his gut like somebody had just kicked him. He swore to himself that he would make Calli's last days...the best...no matter what it took.

~*~

They had sat in silence for what felt like hours, was only a few minutes. Calli, still with tears streaming down her face. Peter couldn't bear to see her cry. He could only imagine what this little girl's heart had been through the last couple of months. He brushed the hair out of her face, and kissed the top of her forehead. She reminded him of a little sister that he always wanted, but never had. He took a Kleenex out from the box next to her bed and wiped the tears off her face.

"Do you want to get out of here and have some fun?" Peter whispered the question sweetly to Calli. She smiled and perked up. Her face, beet red, yes, from crying but she tried to hide it.

"Would I? I've been stuck here for God knows how long. All I do all day is listen to the radio, and try to learn the songs on my guitar"

She pointed to the guitar case that sat in the right corner of her room.

"And on Thursdays, when you guys are on, the nurses bring me a television so that I can watch 'The Monkees.' "

Peter smiled. It seemed as if Peter and Calli had made an instant connection. NO, not romantic, but a special love, that family has for one another.

He had a wonderful idea. He knew what could make her happy, today.

"Calli...would you like to go to the park?"

Peter saw the little girl squeal for joy. He was happy, too, because he was going to surprise her...he would let her life wish come true...meeting "The Monkees"... of course, all she could think of was being outside again, running, sliding down the slide, swinging on the swings, with Peter- her new found big brother, pushing her from behind.

"Would you really take me? THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!"

Calli almost knocked him over by hugging him. Peter laughed out loud, hugging her back.

Out of the corner of his eye, Peter spotted a nurse come into the room. It was the same nurse that had earlier, saw his bare bottom, the laughed about it. Calli saw the nurse.

"Hey, nurse Collins!"

"Well...aren't you the happy little angel today?" she said smiling and laughing at Calli. Miss. Collins wasn't used to seeing the little girl smile. Calli rarely ever did, but when she DID smile, it lit up a room.

"Oh, yes...I am quite happy! Peter, meet Nurse Collins"

"I believe we have met" Peter said blushing a deep shade of red, remembering the little 'incident' back on the eighth floor.

"Peter promised he'd take me to the park, Nurse Collins...can I go, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?"

The nurse's face lit up. You see, Calli was like a granddaughter to her...that's why she had asked for the autograph before...

"I don't see any problem with it! Just remember; be on your best! And one rule...have fun!"

Nurse Collins was delighted to see her this happy.

"Now, you run along and get ready. Peter and I will be waiting outside the room while you get dressed."

Calli smiled. She hugged Peter, then, hugged the nurse...then, hurriedly, ran to her dresser, pulling out her clothes, then, ran to the bathroom and slammed the door behind her. Peter had followed Nurse Collins outside to talk.

"She's such a sweet girl. Brakes my heart to see her here..."

Peter sighed

"Mr. Tork..."

"Please, call me Peter...Mr. Tork...makes me feel old"

"Peter...she's a very special patient to me. This has been a dream come true for her. I know...she LOVES you guys. She listens to the radio and prays that one you your songs come on, so that she can strum with it. Sometimes..."

The nurse chuckled

"...Sometimes, I call the radio station, to request them so she can at least hear one. What I'm trying to say is, please, show her a good time. She hasn't got much longer...doctor said maybe a couple months."

Nurse Collins started to get teary-eyed. She composed herself quickly and looked at Peter

"I promise...I'll show her the best time"

Calli, done getting dressed, opened the door slowly to the room and peered her head out the door. Peter chuckled

"We won't bite, c'mon out silly"

Calli stepped out of the room. She looked much different than before. Out of her hospital gown, into blue bell-bottoms and a matching blue shirt. Blonde hair, very straight and long-brushed out, her face, no longer red, but a fading tan color. She was thirteen, yes, but she wore make-up. Not much, but enough to make her look six-teen.

"She's beautiful," thought Peter to himself

He looked at Nurse Collins, and smiled.

"When we leaving?" Calli was growing impatient. She couldn't wait to see the outside again.

"Right now! I'll have her back by seven p.m...That too late?"

Peter looked at Nurse Collins and smiled.

"No, I guess seven it is!"

The nurse smiled, waved 'good-bye' to Calli and watched them walk into the elevator.

They were going to have the time of their lives, today.

~*~

Calli was excited, and Peter could tell in her expression as soon as they got outside. It was a beautiful June day. Not too warm, but not too cold either. He took her hand as they crossed the street to the hospital parking lot. He had used a payphone in the front lobby beforehand to call somebody to drive his car down so he could get around.

Peter spotted his car. It was red--a classic. Calli never saw such a beautiful car. She smiled.

He opened the passenger side door for Callista then, got in the driver's seat.

Peter then, started the engine, and drove out of the hospital parking lot.

"Well, what shall we do today? We can go to the park, then the fair...today's your day. Movies... carnival...meet the other Monkees..." Peter made casual hand expressions

"M-meet the other Monkees?"

Calli's eyes grew wide and her smile leaned ear to ear.

"Well...meet the other Monkees it is, then!"

Peter smiled. He was happy that he could make this little girl's final days, a little bit more hopeful...

~*~

...About ten minutes had passed by before the little red car stopped in a parking lot. The suspense was shown in the expression in Calli's face, and Peter could see that.

"It's ok, just be yourself. They won't bite...well, maybe Davy will."

Calli laughed. It was weird...but it was as if Peter knew what Calli was thinking.

Peter stepped out of the car and opened Calli's door for her. She looked scared, despite of what Peter had told her in the car.... To the point that she was shaking. Peter had lead them to what looked like their very own little amusement park. A baseball field to the left and swings, teeter-totters, slides, over on the right.

She gasped.

There they were.

The Monkees...about thirty feet away from here.

"We usually come here every weekend. It's a place where we go to relax after working all week. Mike brings his family here almost every weekend."

Peter pointed to Mike, sitting on a swing with his son and Phyllis warning him to be careful not to drop him.

"Oh, Phyll...I wouldn't drop my own son...My hands ain't made outta butter, ya know"

Phyllis shook her head and laughed.

Peter pointed to Davy.

"...And Davy, he comes with his girlfriend..."

Davy was sitting on the bench, flirting with another girl. It was Sally Field.

"Ya know, you may play 'The Flyin' Nun' on the telly...bu' ya sure don' act like one"

Davy laughed

"Davy...I wouldn't complain if I were you...I could convert you know"

Sally laughed and Davy kissed her.

"...And Micky, he brings his sisters, and his girlfriend...sometimes even a crew member or two."

Micky was sitting on a blanket on the grass, with a huge picnic basket sitting open. It could have made Yogi Bear go nuts. Calli giggled.

"And what about you, Peter? Who do you bring?"

" I bring you! And I'll keep bringing you if you'd like?"

Peter smiled at Calli. He took her hand and headed over to Mike. They stopped in front of the swing set where Mike was sitting with Christian.

"Hey Pete, glad t'see ya out of bed and up...makes me feel a whole lot better"

Mike notices Calli and she hides behind Peter, shaking because she's nervous.

"Aww, Pete... and who's that little lovely Texas Prairie Chicken hidin' behind yer back?"

Peter nudged Calli to come out from behind him. She looked at the ground. Mike got up, and, sweetly, told Christian to

"Find out who came with Uncle Pete"

The little Nesmith boy walked up to Calli and she giggled. Christian smiled, laughed and said pointing his little finger at her

"Daddy wans to know ooo you are"

"I'm Calli. And who are you?"

This made Calli laugh. Christian was a bright boy for his age. He had a personality.

Mike and Peter laughed, and Phyllis saw this, too, laughed. Christian took Calli's hand and slowly walked back to his father with her.

"Daddy...this is Cawwi"

It was cute. Christian couldn't pronounce the 'L' in Calli's name, so, he called her 'Cawwi"

Callista looked at the ground and blushed.

"Well, hello there, Calli, I'm Mike"

Calli looked up to see Mike standing there, in front of her...without the green wool hat, but still, it was Mike down to the boots and up to his jet black hair.

"I knew that..."

"Well...shoot...ya did? Didn't think anyone knew me?"

"Not know YOU?" made Calli laugh

"Ahh...you CAN smile! Calli, I wanna introduce you to my wife Phy-"

"Oh, the luckiest woman in the world?"

Mike laughed. He was amazed at how just two minutes ago, she was this shy little girl, and now she was joking around as if they were buddies for years. He took Calli's hand and took her over to meet his wife, who was sitting on a blanket. They became instant friends and started talking about anything and everything. Calli kept asking things like;

"What's it like to be married to a Monkee?"

It was cute.

"Calli, why don't ya stay here and talk to Mrs. Nesmith for a minute, I'll be right back"

Mike motioned for Peter to follow him. They started to walk. Peter noticed it was toward Mike's car. He didn't ask.

"She's a sweet gal, that Calli. Where'd ya find her? She a cousin or somethin'?"

"No...We're not related, Mike. I was leaving the hospital and I heard her crying, so I thought I'd brighten up her day. Show her some fun."

Peter shrugged

"Aww, well ain't you the softy?"

They were walking toward Mike's car.

"What's wrong with her? She seems too spry t'be sickly..."

Peter's face grew a bit more serious

"She's got cancer. And to top it all off...her parents left her...haven't visited her a day she's been in there. Can you believe that? How could any parent do that to their kid, Mike?"

"I don't know, babe...I just don't know."

They reached Mike's car. He pulled the keys out of his right pocket and unlocked the door. He opened the glove box and pulled out his green wool hat. He held it up.

"I got a million of these things...don't suppose she'd want one, do ya?"

Peter chuckled

"I'm as sure as the nose on my face that she wouldn't turn you down if you offered."

They laughed. They headed back to the park, talking about what kind of things they could do for her. Concerts, episode tapings, parties, maybe help with a song or two, since Peter did bring up that she was musically active. They walked up to the blanket where they had left Calli sitting. She wasn't there. Peter took a look around. Calli and Christian were sitting, now, with Micky having lunch of course. He pointed over to them, and they both walked over.

Micky was a sight for sore eyes. In attempting to pick up a sandwich with a bit too much mustard, it kind of spilled on his shirt.

"Mick, man ya eat like a slob." Mike was laughing. It was funny. And it was true; Micky did eat like a slob.

Davy walked over from the bench him and Sally were sitting at and he noticed the little 'food rage' going on.

"Mick, I 'ave a shirt in me car...if ya need it"

"You would" Micky laughed. Only Davy Jones would have extra clothes in the trunk of his car... 'Just in case'.

Micky got up and headed to Davy's car

"Might as well"

Mike kneeled down, and looked at Calli

"I'd like t'give ya something"

He pulled out the green wool hat from behind his back and placed it on top of her head. Peter cocked his head sideways and smiled

"Green suits you well, what do you think, Mike?"

"Oh yes...marvelous, daaaaaaling" Mike smiled

Calli blushed. Christian giggled at her and pointed

"She looks like Daddy now"

They all laughed, including Davy, which was a surprise because he usually didn't think anything was cute except the reflection looking back at him in the mirror.

Not that the ice was broken, they all had become, what had seemed to be best of friends. For hours, they played, joked, laughed, ate (well...that was mainly Micky's part) sang, Mike did his famous card tricks. For Calli, the expression 'Time flies when you're having fun' couldn't be truer now.

Peter looked at his watch, which read six-thirty. He looked at Calli who was in the middle of singing a hilarious rendition of "I'm A Believer" with Micky, using forks as drum sticks and Mike singing back-up doing the air-guitar. He couldn't bear to break up the party now. But he promised Nurse Collins that she'd be back by seven.

"I'll let them finish" Peter thought

About five minutes had passed and the song was over.

"Calli...I hate to do this to you, but it's six-thirty, hun. I promised that I'd have you back at seven."

Calli's smile lessened. She knew they day had to end sometime, but it was too good to last forever. She wished that she could have captured that day in a bottle and take it out whenever she wanted to go back to that day.

"I know...seven..."

"Aww, luv, don' be sad...I bet Petah will bring ya back next time, won't ya?"

"Of course I will...it's a promise!"

Calli's smile widened a little bit. It was just too good to be true. She said her 'good-byes'. Davy gave her a kiss on the cheek, Micky gave her a hug, and a sandwich that he couldn't eat because he was 'stuffed', Mike hugged her and told her that if she ever wanted to learn guitar more, that he'd give her lessons once in a while...and Peter...Peter gave her the best day of her life...so-far...

~*~

Peter and Calli pulled into the parking lot of the hospital at six forty-five. Peter knew that Calli didn't want to go back. He could tell by the blank expression on her face. He hated to see her smile turn into a frown. He didn't know what to say to make her smile. He turned off the car engine and got out to open the door for her. She didn't make any noise except a faint 'thank-you'. Peter took her hand and they both made the walk back up to the fifth floor, where her room was. Calli spotted

Nurse Collins and smiled, ran up to her and gave her a HUGE hug.

"I had the BEST day. Peter took me to meet the other three Monkees, can you believe it?

She looked at Peter and smiled more

"Well, now, is that right? And look at that, he even got you back fifteen minutes early, too!"

Peter laughed

"Just call me prompt Peter."

"I wish you weren't so prompt..." Calli said

Peter kneeled down to her height and looked at her

"Monday morning, would you like to go to the set with me and watch a taping?"

"WOULD I? Oh my gosh...that's GROOVY! Oh thank you Peter!"

Calli threw her arms around Peter and hugged him tightly. He laughed, because he knew he made her happy...again!

"Calli, I think it's time for you to get in your pajamas, and get ready for bed. Peter can't stay here all night long, you know."

"Hey, and I'll even sing ya a lullaby if you hurry!"

"You got it...you think you've seen fast before? Well...I'm gonna beat the world record for getting ready for bed...just time me"

Calli ran to her room and got ready for bed. Got in her pajamas, brushed her teeth and hair. It took her about three minutes. She darted out of the room, breathless and just smiled toothily.

"Hey, look at that...I think you did beat the record! Now, if you'll excuse us Nurse Collins, I have a lullaby to sing"

Nurse Collins just smiled and nodded. Peter took Calli's hand and they went into her room. She climbed into bed and Peter sweetly tucked her in. He pulled the chair next to the window, next to her hospital bed and smiled. He thought about how much this little girl has changed his life today. Peters adopted little sister...

Calli yawned and this broke Peter out of his little thinking trance.

"What are you going to sing, Peter?"

Calli smiled tiredly. She wasn't happy that Peter would soon be leaving, but she WAS happy that he was there right now.

"Well...there IS this song, that Micky has been singing in the studio...it's a lullaby...It's called 'Pillow Time'. Would you like to hear that?"

"As long as you're singing...it doesn't matter"

Peter smiled. He just thought how adorable she was.

He started to sing. Calli promised herself that she wouldn't fall asleep, but slowly, her eyes grew heavier. And as soon as Peter sang the last verse, she was asleep. Peter got up slowly, and kissed her forehead. He walked out of the room, and saw Nurse Collins.

"She's asleep...out like a light"

Nurse Collins smiled.

"That's a first. Usually, she puts up a fit that she's not tired, then she tosses and turns all night long. She needs her rest..."

"Well, she's a strong kid...she's got spunk"

"Yeah...but sometimes, a little too much. I know it must be hard for her because she's here and all the other thirteen-year-olds are out there playing and having fun. She's just trying to be a normal kid. I think, oh my, I think that she can actually be herself when she's with you. I think she thinks of you as a big brother."

"Yeah, it's true. Well, I bet it's time for me to get on home. Will it be okay if I take her to the studio Monday?"

"I see no harm in it. As long as it makes her happy."

"Alright, Monday it is. Just make sure she's ready at about eight A.M. I'll see you then"

"Alright then. You take care Peter."

"Thanks, I will"

Peter walked to the elevator and pressed the button. He was happier than he was in a long time. Working on the set really had been a drag to him lately. Not because of the hours, but because everybody seemed to be tense and ready to snap at each other. But now, everyone seemed to be happier...because of Calli.

~*~

For Calli, Sunday couldn't pass be fast enough. She woke up real early, which didn't help much. She did the usual. Went to church with Nurse Collins, then, went back to her room for the day.

Calli listened to the radio and prayed to God that 'I'm a Believer' would come on the radio because she was working on playing the chords. It did...at about five o'clock. It didn't bother Calli that she had to wait so long to hear them, because it was worth it. She had a beautiful voice and everyone on the floor knew it, too. Sometimes, just for fun, she'd dress up really hippie like and pretend to be 'Michelle' from 'The Mamas and Papas'. Almost a striking image.

-Meanwhile, Peter was at home, resting like Mike and Phyllis told him to do. He didn't want another incident like on Friday. He sat in bed reading most of the day. Yes, reading. Peter was very unlike his character. He loved to read, and write, too. He wrote a few poems, worked on his song, and read a few chapters in Shakespeare's 'Hamlet'. The day, unlike for Calli, passed very quickly for him. It was around nine PM that he finally put his book down and went to bed. But not before saying a little prayer...for Calli.

~*~

"Calli...wake up sunshine, you're going with Peter today"

The familiar voice whispered to her to get ready. Yes, she was excited, but she was tired also. The sunshine was peering through the dreary hospital room, now that the nurse lifted the shade.

Calli wasn't really used to getting up early. Since she usually tossed and turned all night, she usually got up around noon. Not today.

Calli stretched and looked out the window, finally realizing that today was the day she got to go to the set with Peter. Calli rushed to get ready. Her clock said seven thirty AM.... Peter said he'd be there by eight. She rushed, brushing her teeth, hair, doing her make-up. She was ready in no time.

Peter arrived at eight exactly. Unlike the first time Calli met the Monkee, Peter was wearing normal clothes. (Or at least...normal for the sixties). A pair of black bell-bottoms and a blue shirt. And of course, the belt that he purposely wore with the buckle off to the side so that he wouldn't scratch his bass guitar. He knocked on the door and went into the girl's room, where she was strumming chords on her guitar.

"You ready to go?"

Peter smiled at the girl, carefully strumming the strings trying not to play the wrong notes.

"Of course!"

Calli started to put away her guitar in the case. She put it away and was about to shove it back under her bed, where she always put it.

Peter walked over to Calli and stopped her from doing so.

"Why don't ya bring it along? Maybe you can teach me a thing or two" Said Peter smiling

"I'm not very good, maybe you could teach me..."

"Oh...I bet you're just being modest...I bet you can play wonderfully...all's ya have to do is have confidence. Bring it along, and we'll see what happens today."

This made Calli smile. For once, someone, other than Nurse Collins had had confidence in her ability.

Calli grabbed her guitar and followed Peter out the door. She smiled and said a quick 'good-bye' to the nurse. Peter told Nurse Collins that he'd call her every once in a while to let her know when Calli should be back. (Rehearsals never went as planned) Like before, in the elevator, out the hospital, into Peter's cherry red Pontiac GTO and now, on a new adventure...

~*~

Peter and Calli arrived at the studio around eight thirty. Calli looked around the studio. Lights everywhere. Cameramen standing around camera three, trying to figure out where they should get the shot angle. And as usual, Bob, now, talking to Micky in another one of his interviews. Davy walked up from behind Peter and Calli.

" 'ello luv!"

Davy leaned down and hugged the little girl.

"Hey Davy!"

Calli hugged back and gave a huge smile. Peter looked on and smiled also.

"Dave...did ya get the script? What's this weeks about?"

Davy stood up and shrugged.

"Yes, I did get the script, mate. I think this weeks is called...God, I don' 'member, bu' It's about me gettin' sent back t'Englan' with me grandad 'cause he comes an' visits an' I lied 'bout bein' rich...I thin' it's called "Success Story."

"Groovy...any location stuff?"

Davy's eyes lit up. He loved to be outdoors.

"As a matter a fact...yeah there is! We 'ave t'go to the airport to film parts of it"

"Groovy! I know ya love the location stuff...when we shootin' those parts anyways?"

"Bob wanted to get them done today if possible. If not, then tomorra..."

"He must be on drugs...I didn't even get the script yet!"

Peter looked at Calli, sighed and shrugged.

"I think you just might have to help me learn my lines on time."

Calli just smiled and yawned. Yes, she did enjoy being with Peter, but it WAS early for her.

"'ey, look at sleepy jean ovah there, Petah..."

Peter laughed, as did Calli. She could barely keep her eyes open.

"I-I'm sorry, Peter...I'm just really tired still..."

She yawned again, and this time, she lost her balance. Davy caught the tired little girl and led her to Peter's dressing room. They all went into the dressing room. Peter threw the clothes piled up on the couch onto the floor.

"Here, lie down for a little while. You need some more sleep."

Peter grabbed a blanket from the other side of the room and covered Calli with it on the couch. She was too tired to argue, so she did what she was told.

"We'll wake ya up befoah we leave for the shoot at the airport."

Davy smiled at her before heading for the door. Peter followed.

"C'mon, Davy...we got lines to learn".

~*~

It was cold and dark.

Calli had seen dark, but it seemed to be darker than dark. Almost, devilish...hellish...

Fear ran over her like a car going over one hundred miles an hour- out of control towards a brick wall. She was scared, yes, but she decided to get up and look around...to look for Peter.

"Peter HAS to be done by now..." Calli thought

She opened the dressing room door. It was black, and deadly silent. She knew that something was terribly wrong, but wasn't sure what it was. Calli conjured up enough courage to leave the dressing room, and TRY to have a look around. There was nothing. The room had seemed to turn into a big black box. No doors. No escape. No light.

But now, a faint noise. Calli couldn't distinguish what it was, but she knew that it was coming from the left of her. She held her breath, and started toward the noise. It grew louder now. It was clearer to her. It was the sound of laughter. Still, she could see nothing, but she heard laughter.

Gathering up more courage, she walked a bit faster. Calli could see something...it was red...and there were more than two...she counted eight. Eight red glowing eyes cackling at something. Her gut told her not to move, but her feet said 'go'. She made her way toward the lights. Thick smoke was filling the air.

"She's nothin' bu' trouble"

"She's a tag along," said the tall one...with the RED wool hat

It was terrible to hear...but she made her way even closer now... barely making out the four skinny figures...each of them with glowing red eyes.

"She'll be gone any day now...don't worry..." said the curly haired one.

She gasped.

They heard. They knew she was there. And she knew that the devilish creatures were the ones who had said to be her only friends.

Mike ran towards her, and she screamed...

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

~*~

"Calli! Calli wake up! It's ok...you're ok"

Peter and the rest of The Monkees were standing next to her, trying to wake her up.

"Get away from me!"

Calli was not totally awake, yet. After a moment, she realized she was ok, but she started to cry. She saw Peter, Mike, Micky and Davy standing there...normal, without the red glowing eyes that she had dreamt about. She realized she was safe.

"Did ya have a nightmare, darlin'?" Mike asked with concern

"It was horrible. You all were demons...red eyed... planning to kill me."

Calli looked down. She was obviously shaken by the dream

"We would NEVER do a thing like that, Calli! We care too much about you to let anything happen." Peter said wiping the tears off her face.

"Hey, we're going to the airport in a few minutes...to shoot some of the episode. It'll be fun, and you can get your mind off that horrible dream. Whadda ya say? You coming?" Asked Micky.

"Yeah...That'd be groovy," said Calli with a smile.

"Groovy...you can like, be an extra!" Micky said

We're leaving in about ten minutes. If ya wanna clean up those tears or anything...the 'comfort room' is down the hall." Said Mike pointing to the end of the hall.

"Ok, cool. I'll go then, and you guys call me in ten minutes and I'll be ready."

Calli headed to the bathroom and the guys all left Peter's dressing room to go get ready for the shoot.

Calli wiped her face with a wet paper towel and looked in the mirror.

"It was just a dream...nothing bad really happened."

She tried to convince herself that it really didn't happen.

~*~

Peter looked around.

It had been a little more than ten minutes, and Calli wasn't out of the bathroom yet. He walked to the bathroom door and knocked. Calli was inside. She had gotten sick.

"Y-yes?"

"Calli? You ok in there?"

Calli wiped her mouth and a tear streamed down her face

"Yeah, Peter, I'm ok. When are we leaving?"

"We're leaving in one minute...are you sure you're ok in there, hun?"

"I'll be ready...and yes I'm ok...don't worry...I'm just checking my make-up. You know how us girls are about that sorta stuff, heh heh...we take forever..."

Peter really was hesitant about believing her, but he did

"Well, ok, meet me out here in about a minute"

"Right...a minute"

Calli got up and splashed her face with water. She took her cover-up out of her pocket and re-did it. After, she opened the door, and Peter was waiting out there for her. He stood up from his chair and looked at her. He knew inside that she wasn't feeling well. But she really did not want them to worry. He admired this.

"Ready?"

"Yes...totally ready"

Peter led Calli out to the limo that was sitting outside the studios' door. They got in. Davy, Mike and Micky were already in the limo, playing the newest "Monkee" eight-track. Playing was "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

"To the airport" said Mike to the driver.

He started up the limo, and they were on their way...little did Calli and the guys know...that something unpleasant was about to happen VERY soon.

~*~

The limo ride, to everyone, seemed short, even though it WAS half an hours drive.

The limo stopped in front of a bunch of cameras, almost taking out their producer.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?" shouted Bob Rafelson just being missed by the car.

"Hey, Ronnie, next time why don't ya put us all out of our misery and hit him, huh?" Mike said laughing

"Sorry Mike...I'm not paid enough as it is..." Laughed Ronnie, the limo driver.

The four Monkees and Calli got out of the limo. Calli giggled. She couldn't help it. It was quite funny...Bob almost getting hit by the limo.

"Where have you guys been anyways? You're late."

"By how long? One millionth of a second?" asked Davy sarcastically

"No...five minutes...but it doesn't matter...you're still late. Lets get started, ok? Calli, you can be an extra. You stand there and pretend to be talking to him"

Bob pointed to the other extra on the set. Calli nodded and shyly took her place on the set. Bob went through everything with the four Monkees. Where and how they were supposed to go on the set. In about twenty minutes, they had finished the first scene. They still had two more to go, but Bob decided to take a break.

"Let's take ten guys"

Calli was happy to hear this, because pretending to talk to somebody she didn't even know wasn't her kind of thing. Calli was on her way to find Peter, when out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw someone she knew. Calli turned around, and sure enough...it was someone that she knew...it was her mom.

~*~

"Calli...you look like you've seen a ghost. What's wrong?"

Peter found her before she had a chance to find him, first. She cleared her throat, trying to hold back the tears. She had indeed seen her mother. The woman who had left her in the hospital for dead. Calli just stared for a second, not knowing what to say. Her throat burned. The words wanted to come out...the horrible truth she wanted to tell him, but couldn't. Calli pointed over to the terminal, where the woman (her mother) was standing.

"Do ya see that woman over there, Peter? That's...she's...my mom..."

Peter looked concerned. He didn't and couldn't believe that someone's mother could have the heart to just take off while her child is terminally ill in the hospital.

"Calli, did you want to talk to her?"

"I can't...will...will you? Please? I can't face her"

Peter couldn't bear to see her hurt like this. He nodded in agreement that he would go over and talk to her. He slowly walked over to where the lady was standing.

"Excuse me, ma'am...may I speak with you a minute?"

"It's a free country. As long as you ain't tryin' to sell me anything. Hey...ain't you that guy from that television show, 'The Monkees'?"

She took a cigarette out and lit it, took a puff, then offered Peter one. He nodded 'no' and she put them away.

"Where you flying to, Miss?"

Calli's mother looked in annoyance.

"Is that any of your business?"

"Well...I was just going to ask if you were sure you didn't forget anything? Or someone..."

"I didn't forget anything...and sure as hell I didn't forget anyone. My husband is with me... he's getting our tickets"

"Oh, so you don't have any children?"

She looked at Peter strangely, and before answering, took a long drag on her cigarette.

"You're sure the nosey type...what's it to ya?"

"Well...there's a little girl I met...she was in the hospital...said her mother and father deserted her and left her there to die. It's really sad if you think about it, ma'am. Don't you agree?"

They sat silent for what seemed like hours, was only a few minutes

"She's your daughter, isn't she? Calli, she's---"

She cut Peter off rudely

"She's not really my daughter, Mr. Tork, if it's any of your business. We adopted her when she was three months old. She doesn't know it. When we found out she had cancer, and that there was nothing more we could do...we took her to the hospital. It's better off that way."

"HOW is it better? Letting her die by herself? Is that how YOU would want it? Let me tell you something. That girl is special...and you doing this to her...broke her heart. She doesn't have that long. Why can't you just show her that you care and love her..."

all of a sudden over the intercom, the airport called her flight...

"Flight 156 to Toronto, Canada is now boarding at gate twelve"

Calli's mother got up, put out her cigarette, and turned around to walk away, but stopped and said something before she did

"I can't show her I care...because I don't..."

She walked to her gate...and onto the plane.

Peter looked disgusted

"How could ANYONE be so cruel?"

~*~

A chill ran down Peter's spine. It was like 'Cinderella', but more cruel. He looked over at Calli, standing, laughing with Micky over on the set. He didn't want to have to tell her the truth...what her 'mother' said. A tap on his shoulder abruptly interrupted his daze.

"Peter, what's wrong, ole' buddy?"

Peter turned around, his heart half-jumping out of his chest.

"JEESH MIKE...don't do that! Scared the crap out of me"

Mike looked like he felt bad. He took off his wool hat and scratched his head.

"Sorry, man. What happened that yer so jumpy anyways?"

Peter looked off into the distance

"I spoke with Calli's mother, Cruella DeVil herself"

"Aw man, she really left her in the hospital like that?"

Peter had a pained look on his face. "Not only did she leave her there...she had NO intention as to coming back. NONE! That's why she was here. She caught a plane to Canada and booked her sorry self outta here. Just because Calli was adopted. Makes me angry. Well...what am I gonna do, now? I have to go and tell Calli what she said...I mean, she's gonna ask. What am I gonna say? The truth? I can't do that to her...she's already in bad shape...now, this will just hurt her emotionally."

Mike placed his hand on Peter's shoulder.

"Peter...you can tell her...just try and water it down...C'mon...we'll tell her...just not right now. Wait 'til later. Look at how much fun she's havin'..."

Mike pointed to Calli, who was running around playing with Davy and Micky. Micky picked her up and was swinging her by the arms. She giggled and squealed. You would have thought that they were kids again...

"Ok...I'll wait. Later, when everyone is settled..."

Peter cut himself off. He had an idea.

"MIKE...wait a minute...tell me if this sounds crazy...but what if I said that we should try and find Calli's REAL mother...what do you think?"

"I think anything to try and make her happy is worth a shot, no matter how crazy or stupid it is."

Peter smiled, and so did Mike...ear to ear.

"Then that's what I'm gonna do...no matter what it takes, too. We have the resources and I have some money."

They stood there and smiled. It was going to be a long hard job, but it would be worth it...in the end..."

~*~

Peter walked with Mike back over to the set. By the looks of it, Bob still had a few bad vibes going on. He just wanted to get the shoot done as fast as possible. He should have known, that with The Monkees, there is no as soon as possible...there's only 'when we settle down enough...".

"Hey fellas... Fellas? Can't we stop fooling around for two minutes so we can get this done?"

Micky had Calli on his back giving her a piggyback ride. Davy was running around being stupid.

"Oh Bob, stop being such a stick up the a--"

Micky gave Davy a stern look

"Quit being a stick in the mud. Fine, we'll finish" Said Davy, giving Bob a disgruntled look.

Micky put Calli down and walked to where he was supposed to be. Peter, and Mike followed Micky, while Davy followed Bob, because he wasn't in the next scene. In about half an hour, the scenes were finished. It was now about four o'clock and time to go back to the set until eight. Davy, Micky, Mike, Peter and Calli all piled themselves back into the limo. Calli thought for a minute.

"Peter?" Calli asked quietly. "You talked to my mom? What...what did she say?"

The little girl had an anxious, nervous, 'going to explode if you don't tell me' sort of looks. Peter looked at Mike and Mike shrugged. Peter looked back at Calli. He didn't want to tell her the truth, but he didn't want to lie to her either.

"Yes...I did talk to her. Calli...I-I don't know..."

"It's ok, Peter...you can tell me the truth. I've had to grow up pretty fast dealing with the stuff I've had to deal with. I try to let it not get to me. You know? Like getting your ears pierced. It stings for a little while, but eventually, it goes away. Please...I'd rather be hurt by the truth than lied to trying to be protected."

Calli's words had a deep impact on everyone in the limo. They were impressed on how she could take things so well.

"I talked to her-" his voice not above a whisper and his eyes looking at his feet, like a scared puppy. He tried to protect her from things like this, but now, he has to inflict her with it.

"She told me...that she's not your mother. You were adopted... and that they thought that you'd be better off without them."

Calli looked out the window of the limo.

"So then...my real mother...is still out there...somewhere..."

Calli's voice was barely above a whisper now. She held the tears back and her face burned with anger towards the people whom she had called 'mom' and 'dad' all these years.

Davy placed a hand on her shoulder

"It'll be alright, luv...don' worry" Said Davy

"We'll find them, Calli...I promise ya we'll find your parents..." said Mike, taking off his wool hat.

Calli turned away from the window, and looked at the four Monkees.

"You'd do that for me?"

"Yes, Calli...whatever it takes, but we'll find them" said Peter taking her hand in reassurance.

"We'd do anything for you" Peter thought.

~*~

They arrived back at the studio at around five thirty and everyone was ready to go home.

"I'm glad we're not shootin' again tomorra" said Davy tiredly as he walked towards his dressing room.

Peter looked confused

"Wait, are we going to the recording studio...is that tomorrow?"

"Don't worry Peter, that's Wednesday...we get a day off...for once." said Micky grabbing a can of Coke from the Coke Machine.

Calli looked at him warily, and his heart sank.

"You ok? You don't look to well..."

Before Calli could answer, she, (just like Peter had done before) had passed out.

"GUYS!!!" called Peter. Everybody ran over to Calli. They moved her to the couch on the set, and she started to come to. She opened her eyes and tried to get up.

"Oh no ya don't shotgun. You lie right there for a little while." said Mike, handing her a glass of water "Ya need your strength t'last ya."

"I think it'd be best if I took her back to the hospital..."

Peter sat next to her.

"Yeah" Calli whispered "I think that's a good idea"

Calli closed her eyes and fell asleep before anyone could say another word to her.

~*~

Calli woke up, dizzy and with a fever. She was in her bed, back in the hospital. She opened her eyes to see Peter sitting next to her. Calli knew that it couldn't have been that long because she was still in her clothes from the day.

"I'm sorry for ruining your day" whispered Calli, weakly.

"You didn't ruin my day, Calli. If anyone's day was ruined, it was yours...I'm sorry about your 'parents'." Peter whispered back.

"Don't be, Peter. It's not your fault...they're cruel people...heck...they live off doing this stuff..."

Peter's heart sank. He knew that Calli must be hurting, but she refused to show it.

"Peter...will you sing to me like you did the other day? I'm tired..." Calli asked trailing off in a yawn.

"Of course I will sweetie" he answered tucking her in. Peter sweetly san his rendition of 'Shades Of Gray". By the time Peter was finished singing, Calli was fast asleep. He kissed her forehead, getting up.

"I'm gonna find your real parents, Calli...wait and see..."

Peter said getting up. He walked out the door, to find a doctor and nurse Collins standing there with Calli's charts.

"Peter, this is Doctor Matheson...he's Callista's doctor"

They shook hands and Peter looked worried.

"She's getting worse, Mr. Tork. It could be anywhere between two weeks to a month...maybe if she's lucky, two months. Her leukemia has gotten to the point where there's nothing left that we can do..."

"There's nothing...no pills...operation, procedure...?"

"There's only so much...her body has been through more treatments than you could imagine. Believe you me, if there was ANYTHING I could think of to do...I'd try it. But unfortunately, technology has not been advanced yet in this area of medicine. New discoveries are made everyday though. Maybe, soon...someone will discover something to help people like Calli. But right now...the best medicine for her is for her to be happy."

Peter looked at Nurse Collins. She had tears in her eyes. She knew the awful truth...that her 'granddaughter' was going to die soon. Peter knew he had to work fast, if he was going to be able to let Calli know who her REAL parents are...

~*~

Six Weeks passed and no luck finding Calli's parents. Peter made phone calls to every possible adoption agency around, but still no luck. Mike and the rest of 'The Monkees'...even some of the crew for that matter volunteered to help out anyway they could. Making a phone call here, and getting more names there. It was hectic. Every spare moment was spent with Calli, also. Every weekend for a few hours, they'd go to the park where they had gone the first time...that is, when Calli could even get out of bed. But when she was well, she had the time of her life. Another week had gone by, and Callista fell very ill. She ran temperatures and coughed blood. Peter and the rest of the guys visited her in the hospital trying to encourage her and lift her spirits. Her sickness only motivated Peter to make more phone calls. But little did Peter know, that the next phone call from someone very close to him, was going to help him more than all the lawyers in the world could...

~*~

"Yeah, I know...uh huh...thanks anyways"

Peter hung up the phone, frustrated. He sat at the kitchen table at his house with the phone in one hand and a list of lawyers and adoption agencies in the other. Peter had been making phone calls all morning and decided that it was time for lunch. He put the phone back and set the lists right next to it so that he wouldn't loose the numbers. Peter started to make a peanut butter sandwich, when the phone rang. He sighed, put down the sandwich on the counter, and picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey Peter, glad I could catch you, what's up, hun?"

"Hi mom, a lot has been going on" Peter sighed

"What's wrong now? Are those producers treating you like trash again?"

"No mom...nothing like that. It's kinda a long story. I'm doing a favor for a friend. She---she's really sick in the hospital, and her parents---well, we found out that they weren't her parents, they left her there to die"

"That's horrible--"

"I know...poor Calli---"

"Wait a minute, Peter...what's her name, and how old is she?"

"Her name? It's Callista McTavish and she's thirteen, why?"

Peter heard the phone drop on the other end

"Mom? Mom are you ok???"

"Yes...Peter, I'm ok. That little girl...Her last name...is not McTavish..."

"Mom, what are you talking about? H-?"

"Peter, listen to me. Her name isn't McTavish...It's Thorkelson...Peter- she's your sister"

Peter turned a deadly shade of white as he listened to his mother explain.

"You were eight, and you knew how poor we were...Peter, your father and I decided to put her up for adoption...granted I've regretted this all my life..."

"Mom...I think you should get here right away...she's dying and she wants to meet her real parents...she doesn't have much longer"

Peter could her the sobs of his mother and his heart went out to her

"She- she has cancer..."

Before Peter could say another word...

"I'll be up there by tonight."

He heard a click.

Calli would have her last wish...

~*~

Peter was frantically getting ready to go to the airport when the phone rang

"Hello?"

"Peter... you should get down here right away"

There was no mistake, it was Mike. He sounded worried.

"Is she ok? Mike, what's wrong?"

"Peter, she's in REALLY bad shape...you should get down here quick. Calli called me from her room and said she wasn't well...and she was right. She's got only a little while..."

"Peter..." He heard from behind his front door. It was his mother's voice. She was knocking frantically, worried that he wouldn't be there.

"Mike...tell her I'm on my way...and I have a surprise for her..."

"Ok, bud...just hurry up"

Peter hung up the phone, ran to the door with his jacket. He opened the door and gave his mother a huge hug.

"Were you going out?" asked Virginia Tork, Peter's mom.

"Yeah...and you're coming with me. Calli wants to see you and she's getting worse by the minute. She doesn't know that YOU'RE her mom...not yet at least.

Peter showed his mom into his car and they headed for the hospital.

~*~

The elevator doors opened and Peter half dragged his mother by the hand to Calli's room. Mike, Phyllis and Davy were standing outside the door.

"Micky's in there, now, mate..." Davy said barely above a whisper.

"How bad is she?" asked Peter with a worried look on his face

"Not so good, she 'as a fevah an' she keep's gettin' sick"

"When Mick's out, you should go in there...Pete, why's your mom here?" asked Mike

"She's Calli's mom, too..."

Dead silence dropped over the group.

"While I'll be damned" said Mike half smiling "That means yer her big brother-"

Mike was interrupted by Micky opening the door to her room.

"Good, you're here...she's asking for you, Pete. Hello Mrs. Tork, why-"

"I'll explain it to you later, Mick..." Peter said entering the room with his mom.

Peter felt as if he was going to burst out into tears at any given moment, but he held strong. Calli had tubes up her nose and an I.V. in her arm. She spotted Peter, and the woman she didn't know.

"Peter..." she said barely above a whisper, trying to sit up.

"Don't try and get up, you need your strength." Peter moved over to the side of Calli's bed with his mother beside him. Calli took Peter's hand, looking up at him, then, looking over at the strange woman.

"Mike said that you had a surprise for me...did...did you find them? My parents?" Calli asked in a whisper

"No...I didn't find them, Calli---"

Calli got a discouraged look on her face

"Now wait a minute, you didn't let me finish" Peter smiled "THEY found ME. Calli...I'd like you to meet your mom...Virginia Thorkelson...She's my mom, too Calli."

Calli's eyes lit up as she looked at the woman said to be her mother. Tears streamed down her face, as their mom looked at her.

"Callista...I'm so sorry. I can't believe we ever gave you up. If I would have known all this was going to happen...can you ever forgive me?" Said Mrs. Tork kneeling over the side of Calli's bed to see her face to face.

"How can I not forgive you...you're my mom." Calli slowly put her arms around her mother's neck, hugging her for a minute.

"I guess that makes you my big brother, Peter" Calli looked at Peter with a weak grin.

"Yeah, little sis, it does."

The rest of the guys and Phyllis walked into the room.

"It ok if we visit, too?" said Davy

"Yes..." Calli yawned "Do you think you guys could sing to me? If it's not too much to ask?"

"Of course, anything you want to hear."

"Peter...do you have anything you wrote?"

"As a matter of fact, I do...I just wrote something a few weeks back. Mike, you know the one...you helped me with the accompaniment. "

Mike grabbed Calli's guitar and quickly and quietly tuned it. He started to play and Peter sang softly:

"Lady's Baby, smiles and coos, takes away my lonely blues..."

As Peter sang, and the guys sang back-up, quietly to Calli, she grew more and more tired. She tried to shake it off, but couldn't. Mike strummed the final chord and they sat quiet, some saying a prayer, others, just trying not to cry. As she grew tired, so did her heart. Her eye's closed, but not before taking one last look at her new found mom, brother and friends. Calli whispered one last time, taking in a breath, "I love you all...thank you...Peter, mom."

Calli drew in one last breath, and her heart, stopped.

"We love you too Calli..." Peter started to cry, along with his mom.

End