Is There a Doctor in The House?
by Lizzabelle

June 28, 1967
Peter Tork layed in bed, staring up at the ceiling. If it was the truth there was some sort of a virus going around, he would catch it. He hoped not. With Fourth of July just coming around the corner, he didn't want to miss out on the festivities. He sat up, his feet hanging over the side of the bed. He stood up, and held his head. "Oh dammit!" He plopped back down on the bed. Please don't let it be anything serious, he said to himself. I'd hate to miss out on those keen fire works this summer. Usually, every year the Fourth was the same. They'd have some friends over, eat, and watch them shoot the fire works off at the beach. After the fire works, Davy and his latest girl would go off some where and snuggle; Micky would take a walk with a friend of his, Melanie , he always claimed they were just "good-friends." The thought of that made Peter grin. But Mike, he didn't seem to want to do anything. After the fire works, he would always go back to the pad, and work on that new song, and they'd always leave Peter alone on the beach.

"Ey!" Davy Jones said, coming in making Peter lose his concentration.

Peter looked up at his short friend, "What?"

"You feel bettah than you did last night?" he asked with concern.

"No, not really... my head hurts."

"Is tha' all?"

"No, my stomach hurts too.."

"I 'ope you don't get sick, we'd 'ate for you to miss out on the fire works this year, I 'eard Micky talking to Mel about it. Gunna be a real gas."

"Oh that made me feel alot better!" he rolled his eyes.

"Sorry, man." he sighed, and looked down. "Mike said if you felt any worse to call Doc Parsons.."

Peter nodded, "Might as well. Man, I hope its only a 48 hour bug or something."

Davy didn't say it but, he did too. He would have hated to see Peter sick on the Fourth. He walked out and closed the door. Mike Nesmith looked up at Davy, "Well?" he asked rather impatiently.

"E said he didn't feel very good. His 'ead hurt, and his stomach ached." Davy said sitting down next to Micky Dolenz, who was occupied in a came of Solitaire.

"Well, we better call Doc Parsons, tell her Peter's sick.." Mike said, standing up, and walking over to the phone.

Annie Parsons was a friend of the guys, and luckily she was a doctor. Peter had always liked her, but he never could get up the courage to ask her out. Peter never mentioned it to the guys. No, heaven forbid. They would end up, doing something crazy like they did when he fell for Valerie. But, he was determined to do it this year. He had made a plan earlier in the year, something sort of a New Year's Resolution. He had it written down on a piece of paper in his favourite book. When was he going to do it? He hadn't decided, but it was going to be sometime soon.

"Yeah, can I speak with Doctor Parsons please?" Mike asked. "Yeah, I'll hold." he sighed, and tapped his foot impatiently. "Yeah hi Annie! Oh, it's Peter. Yeah, he's sick. Could you come over? Okay, yeah..3:00? we'll be ready... Yeah, bye!" he hung up the phone, and looked over at his friends. "She'll be here at 3:00..."

Davy nodded, "Mike you think it's anything serious?"

"I hope not..." Mike said.

Micky finally looked up, oblivious of what just happened. "Hey, uh Mike..."

Mike looked over at him. "Yeah?"

"Is Peter sick?" he asked

"Don't know yet, Micky... let's hope not... "

Micky nodded, and added silently, "Yeah, me too."

~*~

"Open... " Annie Parsons said, and stuck the thermometer in Peter's mouth. "Any headache's? Nausea?" Peter nodded his head. "Has he had anything to eat today?" Annie looked over at Mike.

"No, he said he was to sick to eat... " Mike said.

Annie looked at Peter and sighed, "You're going to have to eat something!" She took the thermometer out of his mouth, and sighed, "He has a fever of 101.2" She shook the thermometer, and glanced at Peter. "I want you to stay in bed, no moving around... just rest!" She looked at the others, "This is also important, make sure he gets plenty of liquids, feed him some chicken broth, give him two of these ever 3 hours, and if he's not better... call me in the morning." She closed her doctor's bag, and headed for the door.

"Wait!" Mike said, running after her.

She turned, and looked at him "Yes?"

"What's wrong with him?" he asked.

"He has the Flu.." she said, pain swelling up in her eyes.

"The Flu?" Mike groaned. "Poor Peter.."

She looked down at the floor, and sighed. "Yeah.." she added quietly. "Poor Peter." She walked out of the beach house, and climbed into her 1967 red Camero. She looked into the rear view mirror, and sighed. "Face it, Annie" She said. "If you're ever going to come clean about diggin Peter, you might as well do it soon!" She had liked Peter ever since they first met. Who could resist those dimples? Those cute, puppy dog eyes? The thought of it made her swoon. She saw the way Peter looked at her, it was a pure invitation. She decided she would tell him tomorrow, when she came back.

~*~

"Hey, Petah... " Davy said walking into the room. "Ow ya feelin'?"

"Lousy!" he said, leaning over and coughing.

"Oh well, Doc Parsons is coming back ovah today... " he said.

Peter nodded, "Yeah... I know... "

Davy walked back out of the room, and closed the door.

Peter smiled. If she was coming back over, maybe he could tell Annie how he felt about her. This was perfect! But, what about her reaction. What about that "Your a nice guy and all" speech. He remembered Micky mentioning he went out with her in High School. And she had given him that speech on their 5th date. He sighed, at least he would try, you never know; he looked up and said a quick prayer, and went back to sleep.

~*~

"Peter?" Annie said coming in.

Peter woke up from his light sleep, and glanced at her.

"You feeling any better?" she said, walking over to him.

"No, only worse... "

"I might have something to say that would make you feel better... " she looked down at the floor.

"What's that? More of that icky tasting medicine?"

"No.." she looked up at him, "Peter, I have something to confess... "

"Confess?" the tone is his voice was very confused.

"Yes, Peter,... I... I like you... I like you, alot"

He smiled, "I like you too... "

"Now I know you may not--" she looked at him "What?"

"I said I like you too... "

"Y-you do?"

"Of course I do... I havenít had the courage to ask you because I'm not very good with girls.."

She smiled, and hugged him. "Thank you.." her doctor senses kicked back in. "But you HAVE to get your rest!"

"Yes ma'am" he teased, and layed back down.

She smiled, and walked out of the room, pulling the door to slowly.

"Well?" Micky asked.

"He's asleep... I think he'll be okay.." she smiled.

"Good... we'd 'ate for him to miss those keen fireworks this weekend... " Davy said.

"Yeah... hey do you guys mind if I come to your party on the Fourth?"

"Sure! You can come... the more the merrier" Mike said.

"Thanks... oh and uh... don't forget to give him his medicine... " she walked out the door.

Later that night, Peter told Davy what happened that afternoon with Annie. All Davy said was, "Good luck Petah! You remembah wha' she did to Micky!" Peter thought Davy was just jealous. After all, he did date her sister. Rumor was he just did that to make her feel better. But that's how Davy was. Peter smirked, and turned the lamp, on the bedstand off.

~*~

July 2, 1968
Four days past. and Peter was getting better. Annie cam by nearly everyday to "check" on Peter. Soon, he was well enough to walk around and get some fresh air. Peter sat up in bed, and looked over to the other bed across the room. Davy was still asleep? Nah... couldn't be. He looked over to the clock. 9:54. He dragged himself out of bed, and walked out of the bedroom. He found Micky and Mike at the table, eating the last remnants of breakfast.

"Hey, is Davy gone?" Peter asked.

"No, still asleep." Micky said, trying not to choke with his mouth full of food.

Peter gave him a confused look, and went back into the bed room; he walked over to the bed, and pulled the covers back. Davy was lying there, like Micky said, fast asleep. Peter smiled, but then they smile faded when he saw the sweat trickling down his forehead; he placed his hand on Davy's cheek, and winced. He was hot... too hot for Peter's liking. He walked out of the room and over to one of the cabinets and started looking for the thermometer. Mike looked over at Peter, and shook his head. "What are you lookin' for?"

"What?" Peter asked.

"I said, 'What are you lookin' for'?"

"Oh, the thermometer... Found it!" he rushed back into his room. He crept up to Davy, and placed the thermometer in his mouth. Peter's stomach began to churn. If he had given Davy his virus, he wouldn't know what to think. Davy would miss out on the Fourth. And he knew how much that meant to him. And to Leslie. Davy had been seeing Leslie for almost a week. The guys said if he kept this up, he'd brake his own record on how long he dated one girl. Peter took the thermometer out of Davy's mouth and sighed. "102.5" he almost burst out with tears. He walked out of the room, and picked up the phone and called Annie.

"Hello? May I speak with Doctor Parsons, please?" he sighed. "Yes, I'll hold."

"Pete, what's wrong?" Mike asked.

"Shh!" he snapped. "Hello? Annie? Yeah, hi it's Peter, listen, Davy's sick... yeah he has a temp. of 102.5... yeah no he's still asleep. Uh huh, yeah see ya then." he blushed. "Love you, too, bye."

"Guys, Davy's sick... " Peter said hanging the phone up.

"We heard." Micky chimed. "You gave him that bug... "

"I know I did... " Peter frowned.

"Oh, Cheer up, Big Peter... Davy'll be okay," Micky said, try to comfort him.

~*~

"Davy?" Annie said, looking down at him.

"Yeah?" he asked, sitting up, still trying to wake up form his deep sleep.

"Your sick.."

"Sick? You must be joking?"

"Nope... you have a temperature of 102.5" she looked at him. "Any girl you've recently dated was sick?"

"No, they were all in tip-top shape, believe me I know.." he winked.

She rolled her eyes, "Here are my rules, You stay in bed, drink plenty of fluids and rest, no wandering around aimlessly you stay IN bed, and no fooling around either."

"Yes ma'am!" he said, grinning.

"Davy, this is serious... come on now.."

He nodded, "I was only tryin' to ge' a rise outta you, I'm sorry Annie."

"Good, and remember, no fooling around!" she walked out of the room.

Davy stuck his tongue out as the door just. "No foolin' around." he mimicked. "Wha' does she take me for anyway?"

"You guys take good care of him, don't let any girls near him, he needs his strength to fight this off." Annie said looking at Mike.

"You can count on us!" Micky said.

"Good, I'll see you all on the Fourth, then... Peter, walk me out?"

Peter blushed, and walked with her to the car.

"I'll see you later ok?" she said.

"Yeah, okay.." he leaned down and kissed her cheek.

She smiled, and drove away.

"FELLAS!" Davy yelled. "Can I 'ave some juice please?"

Peter could hear Davy all the way out on the street, if he kept this up, Peter was going to kill him.

~*~

July 4, 1968
It was around 9 o'clock, when the boys headed out to the beach. Peter wrapped his arms around Annie, and watched as they shot off the fire works. Micky was bouncing around like a little kid, wanting more and brighter fire works. Mike smacked him upside the head, "Ssh! Davy is trying to sleep!" Micky rolled his eyes, "Sorry." But Davy wasn't asleep, he was watching everything from out of the window in his room. He sighed, Maybe it's punishment. He thought. Whatever it was, Davy knew he didn't deserve it. Being cooped up in his room all day, listening to the others guy practice, reading trashy romance novels. He hasn't eaten anything solid in two days. He was getting tired of it. But, he had to stay in bed, if he wanted to get over being sick. He now must've wondered if this was the way Peter felt. Being sick, and they did the same things while Peter was sick. Of course, it was never fun.

He sat there, watching the last of the fireworks, and sighed.

"Davy?" a voice called out.

Davy whirled around to face the door.

"Petah?" he asked. "Wha' are you doin' in 'ere you should be out there with Annie, and the guys."

"You look lonely..." he said sitting on the bed.

"I'm alrigh'..."

"You sure?"

He sighed and shook his head, "No..."

"Then that settles it, I'm staying in here with you..."

"Thanks Petah..."

"For what?

"For caring..."

Peter smiled, and hugged Davy. "I know how you, feel."

"Yeah, I knew you would..." he smiled. "Tell me this..."

"What?"

"Is Annie like that when she's on a date?"

Peter laughed, "If you mean in control... no she's really sweet."

"Good." He smiled. "Hope you to are very 'appy together.

"We will be..." he smiled. "The same goes for you and Leslie."

Davy looked down at the floor, and mumbled quietly "Me too, Petah... me too..."

End