Disclaimer: I don't own the characters or the song. I have never been to New York and know very little about Central Park or snow. I am making no money off this so please don't sue. Enjoy and feedback please!

Love's First Kiss
by Newbeau

Mike shivered as the wind began to blow harder, swirling the snow that was gently falling. Why did something so pretty have to be so cold, he wondered, wishing he had something heavier than his denim jacket to keep him warm. He wasn't prepared for the winter. It hardly ever got this cold back home in Texas. He knew he should get back to his motel room where at least there was a bit of warmth, but he was lost. Maybe if he went in a store or better yet, a restaurant, he could find out where he was and how far it was back to the motel. Besides, he was hungry so it was either find a place to eat and get directions or get a cab and go hungry.

Up ahead he could see a flashing neon sign. Either he was close to a restaurant or a strip club. As he got closer he realized it was indeed a restaurant. It looked so warm inside. Checking his wallet, he figured he had enough money to get something to eat. In the morning he would get more money. Right now he just wanted something to eat.

Stepping inside the restaurant, he brushed the snow from his hair and jacket. It was warm and he felt a tingle as his body reacted to that warmth. Next time he would only travel in the summer. Less chance of freezing to death that way.

The restaurant was mostly empty, just a few people at the counter and a couple in a booth in the corner. They seemed to be oblivious to anything but each other. He hadn't even gotten that lucky in his dream the night before.

He sat down at the nearest table and picked up the menu that was laying there. Checking the prices he realized he had made a good choice. The prices were very reasonable. He just couldn't figure out what to order.

He heard the waitress walk up, but he was too busy studying the menu to look up. "Mind if I make a suggestion?" she asked.

He looked up and dropped the menu. It was her.

He rubbed his eyes and looked up at her again. Yep, she was real and as beautiful as he remembered from his dream. Her light brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail and light wisps of it curled around her ears. Her eyes were a warm brown. The uniform looked a bit too big for her, but he could still see the potential. Her name tag read Jennifer. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

"You okay?" she asked, concern in her voice.

He nodded. "Yeah, just guess the cold got to me." He picked up the menu again. "I, uh, I'd like a cup of coffee please, cream, no sugar."

"Anything to eat?"

He scanned the menu, forcing himself to concentrate on something other than her. "Are the cheeseburgers any good?"

"Not really, but they fill you up. That what you want?"

"What do you recommend?"

She leaned across the table and took the menu from him. He could smell her perfume, something subtle and flowery. _Think about something cold_ he told himself, trying to keep his body from reacting. It wasn't working.

She pointed to something on the menu. "This is good," she said. "Our best dish. You want it?"

"Y-yeah, looks good."

She took the menu and wrote something down on the pad. "It will be ready in a few minutes. Anything else?"

Before he lost the nerve, he asked, "What time do you get off?"

"In an hour. Why?"

"Well, uh, I'm new in town and I just thought maybe it would be nice to explore it with somebody else. That okay?"

She smiled. "I get off in one hour, but before I agree, you have to tell me something?"

"What?"

"Your name."

"Oh, uh, it's Robert." Damn, he was nervous. He never went by his first name. Oh well, not like it really mattered.

"Well, Robert, I'll be back in a few minutes with your meal and then when I get off, we'll go to Central Park. Have you been there yet?"

"No, but I'm sure it's beautiful."

"Good. Then it's a date." With that she headed for the kitchen.

_A date? Did she really mean that? Wow._ Then he realized he had no idea what he had ordered.

~*~

An hour later it was still snowing, but the wind had stopped. The whole world seemed to be covered in a blanket of white. "Wow!" Mike exclaimed. He had never seen anything like this before.

"You act like you've never seen snow before," Ellen said, smiling.

"Well, not like this. Back home snow is rare and doesn't last very long. It did snow good a few years ago, but nothing like this. It's beautiful."

"Just wait until we get to Central Park," she told him, taking his hand in hers.

The park was mostly empty. Even the guys with the horse carriages seemed to have left for the day. Not that it mattered. They were lost in their own world, just the two of them.

Soon they came to a stone bridge. It was quiet there, the rest of the world blocked out. He didn't want to be around other people right then. He just wanted to be with her.

"This is where I come when I need to get away," she said. "It's always peaceful here. It's called Lover's Leap."

"Why do they call it that?" he asked.

"Because about a hundred years ago or so, two young people fell in love and wanted to get married. The families didn't get along and refused to allow the marriage. The couple decided to run away together and get married elsewhere. Unfortunately, while escaping the girl's house, a servant saw them and alerted the father. He gathered a group of men and took off after the couple. They were caught here at the bridge. They tried to run, but they were surrounded. Knowing that they would be separated, they chose instead to die together. Hand in hand, they jumped to their deaths below. Their families realized too late what they had done and buried them together." She paused and took a deep breath. "It's really sad, isn't it? They would rather die than live without each other."

"Love is a powerful thing," he said. "I don't think we really have a choice about it. It's something that happens and we're powerless to stop it." He gently cupped her face in his hands. "Powerless," he whispered and gently kissed her.

Around them the snow continued to fall and from somewhere in the shadows two figures watched quietly and slowly faded away, knowing that someone would find the happiness they had been denied.

End